[Article] This is your MMS thread now! New rule: Only post your own content

Status
Not open for further replies.
20010388IMG09271.jpg

They came out with steel belted radial tires to connect it to earth.
That picture brought back memories of the 65 Ford Fairlane woodie wagon I was constantly stealing from my parents driveway. Smaller jumper to send the ignition and systems, pliers across the solenoid. "Pliers Across the Solenoid" - garage band name 🤘

I was just thinking with a vehicle that vintage, there are several circuits that could be closed(doors, underhood light, cig light port), which leaves the same spark danger back at the battery. Albeit, those are all fused pretty low so you'd hardly scorch a wrench.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
It's not an earth grounded system. What realistic difference does it make?
You'll short whatever lead you're fucking with to ground.

Short the negative lead to ground when you're getting the terminal loose? doesn't make a difference. Short the positive lead? you're having a bad time.

Easier to disconnect the negative, in that if you touch anything on the body of the car besides the wrench (like say, the body of the car), you won't complete a circuit to ground through your body.

Most of us avoid that issue by paying attention to what the hell we're doing and not arcing shit with wrenches.

It's a car battery, it's not going to hurt you.

• Haha
Reactions: Immigrant
Most of us avoid that issue by paying attention to what the hell we're doing and not arcing shit with wrenches.

Uh. I saw the aftermath of a car battery that had exploded and hit a guy in the jaw. It was clearly broken because his chin was split in two and one half was just kind of hanging there.

Car batteries can kill. I may forget that posts are tapered, but I won’t forget they’re dangerous.

I disagree about a car battery not hurting you - lots of amperage. Which is why the direct battery bit scortches a wrench. I just think that for practical purposes disconnecting the positive is usually just as safe/reasonable,
Easier to disconnect the negative, in that if you touch anything on the body of the car besides the wrench (like say, the body of the car), you won't complete a circuit to ground through your body.
It's not an earth grounded system, you don't know WTF you are talking about.

So, how is the pos getting nysteriously reconnected? I like how your thinking but its pretty remote imo - i shouldnt have bellowrd atyou. Sorry.
Touching the positive to disconnect it, and then touching any other bare metal on the car is how you end up getting stung.

That is not a risk you run when you disconnect the negative first.

I cannot believe you're arguing this. It's fucking science that even a 1st grader layman should understand.

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
Touching the positive to disconnect it, and then touching any other bare metal on the car is how you end up getting stung.

That is not a risk you run when you disconnect the negative first.I

I cannot believe you're arguing this. It's fucking science that even a 1st grader layman should understand.
I'm not arguing it - I acknowledged that. But for practical purposes I'm usually not that clumsy for that brief moment in time. I don't mind the work being moderately challenging. I've yet to blow myself up or electrocute myself, despite working with dangerous shit all the time.

I'm not arguing it - I acknowledged that. But for practical purposes I'm usually not that clumsy for that brief moment in time. I don't mind the work being moderately challenging. I've yet to blow myself up or electrocute myself, despite working with dangerous shit all the time.

you never leaned over the vehicle with a zipper or belt buckle or bare skin touching the frame when you're undoing the positive first with a metal wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.