This is a title.

Okay, pretend your pressure vessel also has some sort of amazing cooling jacket to whisk away the heat.

Then no, I don't think you could make a diamond. But that's merely a guess. Off to google...

edit: According to this, heat is required
Diamonds can only be formed under extreme geological conditions. These conditions are when the temperature is greater than 800 degrees Celsius and pressure is 50,000 times atmospheric pressure.

Last edited:
so this means the surface of Jupiter and Saturn must be Huge diamonds!!!

brb off to build a fan the size of a large moon. and claim all that sweet sweet diamond land.

Last edited:
My assumption was that as the water closes in on the freezing point, the pressure would generate heat and prevent the water from freezing. I was wrong.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99532.htm

According to this, the pressure only prevents the water from freezing up to a point, then the pressure actually HELPS transform the water. So the answer is that it will indeed freeze. (That is unless FG can Google something better...)
Nucleation: the water becomes a supercooled liquid until -42C... Then who knows o_O

i think by the time you find material that's solid enough to resist the waters expansion, you'll be looking at a material with thermal properties that doesn't transfer cold/heat energy.

i'm not gonna link to some obscure wikipedia article or nothin, just some theories i have floatin around in my noggin.

i think by the time you find material that's solid enough to resist the waters expansion, you'll be looking at a material with thermal properties that doesn't transfer cold/heat energy.

i'm not gonna link to some obscure wikipedia article or nothin, just some theories i have floatin around in my noggin.

So your argument is based on "because I think it works that way?"

its based on the shit i remember from physics class. while i still have my college physics book, i dont really wanna go dig through it.

i was hopin some scientific geek type on here would go research thermal properties and strength of metals/different materials for me. :D

as it stands, everyones arguement so far in this thread is based on "because I think it works that way", maybe the question should be posted on a physics forum somewhere?