Halp THE WINTER THAT WILL NOT DIE

The vehicle we drove up here in is a rwd. :( My car at home is fwd and a manual, so it's waaaaay easier to drive on ice and slick crap than this vehicle. This one WANTS to put us in a snow bank.

/edit and it is NOT fun. Going off the road, as we've found, requires depending on someone to helps us out of the bank.

I grew up in Minnesota, with my first car being a 68 Mustang I had to replace a tranny on before I could even drive it. Spent 16 years in CO in 2 more Mustangs...

Sure, getting put into a bank is a bitch, but it only happened to me once where I needed someone to come get me out. I'm actually more scared of a RWD in Florida rain than I am in northern US snow. My drives during a rain storm are some white knuckle shit, though I think it's my current tires that are a major part of the problem. Just got them last year too but I need some new ones because these don't cut water for shit.

I grew up in Minnesota, with my first car being a 68 Mustang I had to replace a tranny on before I could even drive it. Spent 16 years in CO in 2 more Mustangs...

Sure, getting put into a bank is a bitch, but it only happened to me once where I needed someone to come get me out. I'm actually more scared of a RWD in Florida rain than I am in northern US snow. My drives during a rain storm are some white knuckle shit, though I think it's my current tires that are a major part of the problem. Just got them last year too but I need some new ones because these don't cut water for shit.

I agree with water vs snow. If you don't have the right tires for rain, especially if you live in an area that flash floods at all, then you'll basically just hydroplane the entire time you get up over 55mph or so. I had that on previous cars, and cars with real narrow tires seem to be even more prone to that. Another thing I like about my car is that the tires a wider and have made a huge difference in traction during rain. I realize there are some people that do 70mph in rain and get mad at people doing 50 or whatever, but they don't realize that some people quite literally can not go that fast in water.

I agree with water vs snow. If you don't have the right tires for rain, especially if you live in an area that flash floods at all, then you'll basically just hydroplane the entire time you get up over 55mph or so. I had that on previous cars, and cars with real narrow tires seem to be even more prone to that. Another thing I like about my car is that the tires a wider and have made a huge difference in traction during rain. I realize there are some people that do 70mph in rain and get mad at people doing 50 or whatever, but they don't realize that some people quite literally can not go that fast in water.

Mine are actually wider than the Perelli PZero's I used to have and I think that's part of the problem. But Z rated tires and rain never go well together regardless but I just can't bring myself to put some all weather shoes on the ride. Wouldn't look right :fly:

The driveway was plowed and salted yesterday afternoon around 4pm, and the truck was cleared off. This is right now.

1932499_836922409668292_520251434_o.jpg

1115969_836922346334965_744954071_o.jpg

And I thought weather forecasting sucked in Texas. They're even worse at forecasting it for up here.

The vehicle we drove up here in is a rwd. :( My car at home is fwd and a manual, so it's waaaaay easier to drive on ice and slick crap than this vehicle. This one WANTS to put us in a snow bank.

/edit and it is NOT fun. Going off the road, as we've found, requires depending on someone to helps us out of the bank.

it looks like you're rural enough too that you're going to learn about the 5th season in vermont in a couple months too. Mud Season.

Mine are actually wider than the Perelli PZero's I used to have and I think that's part of the problem. But Z rated tires and rain never go well together regardless but I just can't bring myself to put some all weather shoes on the ride. Wouldn't look right :fly:

God forbid it not look right. Guys make fun of girls for vanity, but I'm reading where a guy is choosing vanity over functional safety right now. :p

I don't know if they still make them, but the z rated mxv4's were like suction cups through the rain on my acura.

it looks like you're rural enough too that you're going to learn about the 5th season in vermont in a couple months too. Mud Season.

Yeah these are dirt roads out here for the most part. Everything started to thaw out earlier in the week, and the roads became the most incredible mud I've ever seen. It actually pulls the truck and causes it to try to fishtail worse than on snow and ice. I had to clean my plates off a few times, which judging by other cars isn't something they do here (you'll actually get pulled over for having illegible plates during clear weather at home), and got a lesson on prepping the windshield and wiper blades BEFORE leaving the driveway. Is there a reason they don't pave roads out here?

Yeah these are dirt roads out here for the most part. Everything started to thaw out earlier in the week, and the roads became the most incredible mud I've ever seen. It actually pulls the truck and causes it to try to fishtail worse than on snow and ice. I had to clean my plates off a few times, which judging by other cars isn't something they do here (you'll actually get pulled over for having illegible plates during clear weather at home), and got a lesson on prepping the windshield and wiper blades BEFORE leaving the driveway. Is there a reason they don't pave roads out here?

No good reason. Theres a lot of windy long roads with 10-15 houses only on them, that arent interconnected with other roads. Not a good investment for the town/city/etc to pave something like that and maintain it, relying on the taxes of only 10 households to fund it.

Rain only once so far this year sounds awful. How does anything even grow? Or is it just bullshit cactii?

I really really really like sun, so living somehwere where it rains a lot is out. Also, I'm used to it, grew up in Utah and it didn't rain much more there AND I had to deal with snow and cold for 8 months a year.

No good reason. Theres a lot of windy long roads with 10-15 houses only on them, that arent interconnected with other roads. Not a good investment for the town/city/etc to pave something like that and maintain it, relying on the taxes of only 10 households to fund it.

Guess that makes sense. It's a little horrifying at first, though. Crazy deep and so slick and goes eeeeeverywherrrre. I guess because Texas dirt is made of so much clay, and plus since no plows then we can gravel the dirt roads, is why it's so different. I go back home the 30th, though, so I won't be getting into much of it if much at all.

I really really really like sun, so living somehwere where it rains a lot is out. Also, I'm used to it, grew up in Utah and it didn't rain much more there AND I had to deal with snow and cold for 8 months a year.

Ohhh yeah. I would've thought snow = rain throughout the year. I love lush landscaping, greenery, woods, etc. The only way to get that in Dallas is by watering all of the time, but we've had drought for so many years now that we aren't really allowed to water enough to keep stuff growing. Besides that, it's a serious pain having to use watering as the main source of water instead of regular rain. I'd have a hard time living in the desert just because of the lack of shit growing. I think if I had to grow up in the snow, then the desert would be looking pretty fantastic. But iirc, it does snow in Arizona? Aren't there ski places? Or is that like New Mexico or something.