Ontopic The Shooting Thread

According to The Gun Violence Archive, a non-profit organization that tracks such things, there's been 216 mass shootings (4 victims or more) to date this year.
693 last year. I wouldn't call that rare. Seems it's fairly common to me.
Perspective I guess.
Its rare in the fact that you probably don't need training for it. Last year there were on average about 2 a day, in a nation of 350M people and an area of almost 4 million square miles. We just think its not rare because of the news coverage.

Its rare in the fact that you probably don't need training for it. Last year there were on average about 2 a day, in a nation of 350M people and an area of almost 4 million square miles. We just think its not rare because of the news coverage.
I thinks it's not rare because it not rare.
It's unlikely we'll be involved in one but the numbers from last year show 1.8 a day on avg. That's not rare, that's daily.
I'm just saying, shootings in general, not necessarily mass shootings happen every day of the week. We're talking in a thread dedicated to mass shootings.
But it's a good example of how people use statistics and the media and all sorts of other agendas to either downplay it or make it into a crisis.
We can't even agree on whether or not one mass shooting per week is "extremely rare" or "fairly common".
I personally think one a year is too much.

What you can do is compare death by gun violence per capita with other countries. That's a direct measure of risk to an individual.

It's unlikely we'll be involved in one but the numbers from last year show 1.8 a day on avg. That's not rare, that's daily.
I'm just saying, shootings in general, not necessarily mass shootings happen every day of the week. We're talking in a thread dedicated to mass shootings.
But it's a good example of how people use statistics and the media and all sorts of other agendas to either downplay it or make it into a crisis.
We can't even agree on whether or not one mass shooting per week is "extremely rare" or "fairly common".
It's actually a relatively new phenomenon.

Back when there was more access to firearms it was extremely uncommon. The first mass killing at a school was in the 1920s when some dude blew one up with dynamite.

Stephen King almost wholly introduced the concept in the 1970s.

It's actually a relatively new phenomenon.

Back when there was more access to firearms it was extremely uncommon. The first mass killing at a school was in the 1920s when some dude blew one up with dynamite.

Stephen King almost wholly introduced the concept in the 1970s.
Well, it is a problem we should try to figure out. Mental health is such a joke in the country.

Well, it is a problem we should try to figure out. Mental health is such a joke in the country.
Motive and means. In this case mental health is the motive, but the means are still access to guns. You could be as mentally ill as you like and you're far less likely to cause as much damage if you don't have access to guns. We need to address both

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
Most of the culprits would've been unlikely to seek out Healthcare. Maybe we shouldn't run 24/7 news coverage on it because most of them are attention seeking.

There are a lot of things but schools are gun free zones without security which makes it incredibly unlikely you are going to be stopped. They canceled a lot of school resource LE positions here after the George Floyd thing, which were unarmed anyway. It's a bad combination.

Motive and means. In this case mental health is the motive, but the means are still access to guns. You could be as mentally ill as you like and you're far less likely to cause as much damage if you don't have access to guns. We need to address both
100% agree

So restrict access to gun for people who follow the law because mentally ill people are totes gonna obey the law.

I firmly believe nothing will change until the GOPers, or the gun lobby, or some other group preventing this find themselves on the wrong end of it.

Some parent somewhere is gonna snap due to losing their kid, and that'll be all it takes.

Look at the NRA supporting gun control when the Black Panthers were armed. They don't care till its the wrong people.

I firmly believe nothing will change until the GOPers, or the gun lobby, or some other group preventing this find themselves on the wrong end of it.

Some parent somewhere is gonna snap due to losing their kid, and that'll be all it takes.

Look at the NRA supporting gun control when the Black Panthers were armed. They don't care till its the wrong people.
The new gun lobby is way more inclusive. I remember in the early 2000s the GOA was funding gay marriage initiatives. Probably cant source that but it def happened. I specifically remember meeting a bunch of gay rights dudes at shot show 2005?

Hell, the triumvirate of republican dipshits (trump, cruz and abbot) are in houston this weekend for the annual NRA convention.
Im sure all kinds of problems will be solved!

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Most of the culprits would've been unlikely to seek out Healthcare. Maybe we shouldn't run 24/7 news coverage on it because most of them are attention seeking.

There are a lot of things but schools are gun free zones without security which makes it incredibly unlikely you are going to be stopped. They canceled a lot of school resource LE positions here after the George Floyd thing, which were unarmed anyway. It's a bad combination.
Lob, this is such garbage.

Lob, this is such garbage.
It's the truth. The fucking Buffalo shooter specifically targeted a place where he knew there wouldn't be people carrying concealed.

Israel has armed teachers since the 1980s. It's effective. We have a federal prohibition on guns within 1500ft of schools.

If you'll recall, my comment was that Keeks would be very unlikely to be involved in one. To an individual, the chances of being involved in one are VERY low, aka rare.

It's the truth. The fucking Buffalo shooter specifically targeted a place where he knew there wouldn't be people carrying concealed.

Israel has armed teachers since the 1980s. It's effective. We have a federal prohibition on guns within 1500ft of schools.
The answer isn't that we should all carry, all the time, dipshit.