Baby The Official Baby/Fetus/BirthCanal Thread

It certainly isn't teaching them any sort of honesty or responsibility or doing the right thing because it's the right thing.

They running the mile because they're supposed to run the mile or they running it because their tracking device will tattle on them if they don't?

Character is how you behave when nobody's watching. How the hell they supposed to develop that when someone or something is literally always watching.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
It certainly isn't teaching them any sort of honesty or responsibility or doing the right thing because it's the right thing.

They running the mile because they're supposed to run the mile or they running it because their tracking device will tattle on them if they don't?

Character is how you behave when nobody's watching. How the hell they supposed to develop that when someone or something is literally always watching.
Apparently the teacher thinks nobody's watching because the group in Strava is just open for anybody to look at. I could stalk three hundred 6th graders without even a little bit of trouble.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Apparently the teacher thinks nobody's watching because the group in Strava is just open for anybody to look at. I could stalk three hundred 6th graders without even a little bit of trouble.

That is f'n scary.
Def needs to go way up the chain.

I don't understand how that's even allowed. Like using whatever strava is should be prohibited.
Shirley the school must have an IT guy or 3 that reviews or knows about this stuff?

That is f'n scary.
Def needs to go way up the chain.

I don't understand how that's even allowed. Like using whatever strava is should be prohibited.
Shirley the school must have an IT guy or 3 that reviews or knows about this stuff?
I have no idea. I looked at the group, and there are at least 3 teachers in there who should know better.

Seems like the teachers are just doing whatever with no oversight or guardrails.
Like they're throwing kids on whatever social sites they use to gossip or post their femdom fantasies off duty without even a thought or care.

People can be pretty cyber-stupid but explaining it simply as you just did..."look. anyone could get on here and follow 300 6th graders home right now"... Maybe with a screenshot or little .gif or something, I don't see how you could not have a few hundred parents going WTF and demanding a secure solution.

You're a computer scientist that the government deems good enough to trust with nukes or aliens or whatever the hell it is you do. People that don't know shit about this can still comprehend that you do and put together a dirt simple show of how exposed their kids are.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and wetwillie
People can be pretty cyber-stupid but explaining it simply as you just did..."look. anyone could get on here and follow 300 6th graders home right now"... Maybe with a screenshot or little .gif or something, I don't see how you could not have a few hundred parents going WTF and demanding a secure solution.

You're a computer scientist that the government deems good enough to trust with nukes or aliens or whatever the hell it is you do. People that don't know shit about this can still comprehend that you do and put together a dirt simple show of how exposed their kids are.
I harvest farts.

We had a dad here who was logging into the school meets, when his daughter was gone for weekly doctor's appt. "Just taking notes for my kid." mm, hhhmmm.
Or the parents that have a backdrop cloth behind the kid and you can hear and occasionally see mom & dad going about biz. in the house - like, they have the kid setup at the kitchen table.
New smart-ass problem - kid acts like his microphone isn't working in meet. Another kid busts on them that she's being gaslighted and he's just moving his lips.

Seems like the teachers are just doing whatever with no oversight or guardrails.
Like they're throwing kids on whatever social sites they use to gossip or post their femdom fantasies off duty without even a thought or care.
Some school districts are doing better than others. My wife's is doing a great jobs and has lots of resources for the kids and teachers, with more every day. But still, how do you MAKE them do it? The parents are doing at-home, gig economy, kids figure they'll do the same regarding school. I'm guessing some block of kids a certain age will have statistically higher levels of drop-outs due to this time of covid. To a certain degree, every kid in the world is doing a bit of skipping school right now. :lol:

Really hard to control that home environment. People occasionally say teachers are high paid baby sitters. Well yes, they are. 7-8 hours a day you know where your lovelies are and what they can't get into. Under normal circumstances.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Some school districts are doing better than others. My wife's is doing a great jobs and has lots of resources for the kids and teachers, with more every day. But still, how do you MAKE them do it? The parents are doing at-home, gig economy, kids figure they'll do the same regarding school. I'm guessing some block of kids a certain age will have statistically higher levels of drop-outs due to this time of covid. To a certain degree, every kid in the world is doing a bit of skipping school right now. :lol:

Really hard to control that home environment. People occasionally say teachers are high paid baby sitters. Well yes, they are. 7-8 hours a day you know where your lovelies are and what they can't get into. Under normal circumstances.

I'd agree with all of that.
Doesn't change the fact all these kids locations are needlessly and possibly dangerously exposed to what has to be a very large number of people. Enough that statistically there's probably a perv in the bunch, and more than a few bullies or other general assholes that don't need to be knowing where everyone's sanctuary is.

Somewhere along the way there had to have been a meeting where they said, "ok here's the plan, we're gonna use this app, everybody's gonna log in like this, and here's how we're gonna give class".
At which point somebody with some tech knowledge should've said, "hold on a minute, I see a potential problem here, we need more control over these settings and permissions".
Something along those lines anyway.
Maybe the teacher could have something like forum administrator powers to see they are where they say they are but that info can't be available to just anyone.

I'd agree with all of that.
Doesn't change the fact all these kids locations are needlessly and possibly dangerously exposed to what has to be a very large number of people. Enough that statistically there's probably a perv in the bunch, and more than a few bullies or other general assholes that don't need to be knowing where everyone's sanctuary is.

Somewhere along the way there had to have been a meeting where they said, "ok here's the plan, we're gonna use this app, everybody's gonna log in like this, and here's how we're gonna give class".
At which point somebody with some tech knowledge should've said, "hold on a minute, I see a potential problem here, we need more control over these settings and permissions".
Something along those lines anyway.
Maybe the teacher could have something like forum administrator powers to see they are where they say they are but that info can't be available to just anyone.
yeah I think the school-specific apps probably have some safety/security features(which obviously can still be gotten around, but it can be harder), but once you start getting into separate apps that haven't been designed around safety/security for kids (like, say, Strava, or Zoom), especially when those apps have location info, that's just a straight up bad choice.

part of the problem was that a lot of places weren't really prepared for the switch in the spring/at the end of the last school year, and weren't able to plan well enough for this current school year because districts were and continue to be wishy washy about how long kids will be at home/"home"

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and HipHugHer
that definitely doesn't excuse/justify the use of unsecure apps, that's just straight up bad, I'm just saying that a lot of schools didn't really have time or money to do good due diligence about finding the best main app to use

that definitely doesn't excuse/justify the use of unsecure apps, that's just straight up bad, I'm just saying that a lot of schools didn't really have time or money to do good due diligence about finding the best main app to use

Makes sense to me. And I wouldn't expect them to have time or money to set up some entirely in house system like that, at least on short notice...or at all even.
At the same time these schools have an IT guy, or some kind of IT department for the district, or a contract with a local company or something, no? They can't be entirely seat of the pants can they?
Those folks would be the ones to see they can use zoom or whatever in a kid-safe manner.

Example- how do you know how safe or secure your home is?
You do a trial run with you or a friend or whoever as the bad guy. You try to break in it yourself.

Teachers play the students, at home like they would be, an administrator plays the teacher, and IT sees what they can see, finds weak points, opportunities for inappropriate actions, etc.

Before you release the plan and run with it.

Makes sense to me. And I wouldn't expect them to have time or money to set up some entirely in house system like that, at least on short notice...or at all even.
At the same time these schools have an IT guy, or some kind of IT department for the district, or a contract with a local company or something, no? They can't be entirely seat of the pants can they?
Those folks would be the ones to see they can use zoom or whatever in a kid-safe manner.

Example- how do you know how safe or secure your home is?
You do a trial run with you or a friend or whoever as the bad guy. You try to break in it yourself.

Teachers play the students, at home like they would be, an administrator plays the teacher, and IT sees what they can see, finds weak points, opportunities for inappropriate actions, etc.

Before you release the plan and run with it.
the software the teachers end up using for main instruction is most likely chosen by administrators and/or the district, it may or may not have been individual to the school (like some schools were probably just told "you're gonna use this, figure it out"). they SHOULD do testing, but whether they did or not varies, and unfortunately there are some things that you're not going to figure out will go wrong until they do (like with random people getting on your Zoom calls). there hasn't really ever been this volume of people using these programs, and so they weren't on the radar of the public at large, so it was only after they were already rolled out that more and more people started figuring out how to fuck with it.

IT is also gonna vary by place, some schools might have dedicated staff but others are gonna have a handful of people that work for the district and get sent where they need to go.

but again, this is talking about the regular software and not the random shit teachers are coming up with on their own (like Strava) which I think would easily be shown to be a problem to anyone who's spent any time on the internet. I think the problem THERE is that teachers are trying to get creative on their own and not running those ideas through the appropriate channels. in your actual physical classroom, you wouldn't have to think to ask like, oh I'm gonna change up this lesson plan a bit and do something else, or I usually do multiple choice but I'm gonna add some short responses as well, but when you start adding in changes like THIS, where there ARE security concerns, they're being naive dopes about it and they're probably equally as cavalier about their own online presence.

• Gravy
the software the teachers end up using for main instruction is most likely chosen by administrators and/or the district, it may or may not have been individual to the school (like some schools were probably just told "you're gonna use this, figure it out"). they SHOULD do testing, but whether they did or not varies, and unfortunately there are some things that you're not going to figure out will go wrong until they do (like with random people getting on your Zoom calls). there hasn't really ever been this volume of people using these programs, and so they weren't on the radar of the public at large, so it was only after they were already rolled out that more and more people started figuring out how to fuck with it.

IT is also gonna vary by place, some schools might have dedicated staff but others are gonna have a handful of people that work for the district and get sent where they need to go.

but again, this is talking about the regular software and not the random shit teachers are coming up with on their own (like Strava) which I think would easily be shown to be a problem to anyone who's spent any time on the internet. I think the problem THERE is that teachers are trying to get creative on their own and not running those ideas through the appropriate channels. in your actual physical classroom, you wouldn't have to think to ask like, oh I'm gonna change up this lesson plan a bit and do something else, or I usually do multiple choice but I'm gonna add some short responses as well, but when you start adding in changes like THIS, where there ARE security concerns, they're being naive dopes about it and they're probably equally as cavalier about their own online presence.

I think you hit the nail with that last bit about being naive and cavalier at the same time.
Even to me it's just common sense you don't just up and do something like that with kids involved and not consider security issues and I'm no tech savvy type at all. Some of them gotta be completely clueless or just don't step back and think or look at the whole picture/use their imaginations.

Update: I emailed the administrator of the school, got no traction there. Followed up on Facebook messenger with the school district's facebook account, got no traction there. Made a twatter account and twatted "Hey <school district>, why can I log into strava and see the home addresses of the entire 6th grade class at <school>?", and tagged the school district, their "ed tech" account, and strava.

This morning, there was a response from EdTech asking for more details, so I emailed them.

Also found out that the current superintendant is an alum from the same high school as me, so I have an in there, should I get no traction via this channel.

• Gravy