Food The (not so) delicious food thread

"corned beef" is what Yankees do to brisket when they can't smoke it 14 hours Texas style.
Best leave that shit in the freezer 'til summer.

Some of it has to be sunk in R&D. Probably took a lot of work (and who knows how many chemical carcinogens) to make some leaves seem like kind of a meat thingy.

If it takes off, cool.
I still say they should just concentrate on just making it good tasting food instead of "it's just like meat!".
Beef is literally a carcinogen and everything you eat is made out of chemicals. There are already good tasting vegan patties. They aren't marketing it to vegans. The Impossible burger is a good idea that's better for the environment than beef.

That said, I agree that I would rather just have a good tasting sandwich. Black bean would be great or sweet potato burger with guacamole.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I saw a commercial last night for BK advertising they’ve lowered the Impossible Whopper® price to fit with the 2 for $6 deal, like the regular Whopper®.

I guess it isn’t selling as well as projected.

The deli in the roomie’s store is still getting $2 more for the burgers because hipsters.

Yeah because the shit and glue that's all over a standard American burger that's made from cows who are feed nothing but GMOs sounds way better.
Oh, I don't think the beefers are any better, they are still worse for your health overall. I'm not too afraid of the GMO in this particular case.
A nice quality bean burger is fine for me. All sorts of natural stuff that can do the "sticky" job to keep it together.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
Oh, I don't think the beefers are any better, they are still worse for your health overall. I'm not too afraid of the GMO in this particular case.
A nice quality bean burger is fine for me. All sorts of natural stuff that can do the "sticky" job to keep it together.
I too prefer a black bean burger, though I've never had one with a meaty texture, not that I've tried making them that way.

I too prefer a black bean burger, though I've never had one with a meaty texture, not that I've tried making them that way.
I put in ground dried mushrooms and add some konjac powder* to help keep it together - nice chew factor. Ground Flaxseed works for the glue too.
*NAtural root powder, they make gummies in some countries and those "Miracle Noodles" from it.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
"corned beef" is what Yankees do to brisket when they can't smoke it 14 hours Texas style.
Best leave that shit in the freezer 'til summer.
Corned beef is old school preserved food that was brought over by ship, without refrigeration, back when this continent was first getting settled. Texas and its cattle and its people probably wouldn't have existed without corned beef.

Respect your ancestors :)

That corned beef looks great.

Logged in just to say so, because the picture has imprinted on my brains. Thank you.

Corned beef and cabbage is my husbands favorite meal. We have it on his bday every year without fail. I’m not fancy enough to corn my own beef though.
It's easy. Buy a couple cheap chunks of beef. You're "supposed" to make it with brisket, but I just buy whatever cheap cut of meat is on sale.

You gotta find curing salt / prague powder #1, but you can buy that off amazon, or a local butcher can probably sell you some.

It's easy. Buy a couple cheap chunks of beef. You're "supposed" to make it with brisket, but I just buy whatever cheap cut of meat is on sale.

You gotta find curing salt / prague powder #1, but you can buy that off amazon, or a local butcher can probably sell you some.
Agreed - super easy, just like marinating or brining. Curing salt/Prague - I won't use, pure sodium nitrate. Granted I have to be more careful regarding botulism and it won't have that pretty pink color. I can live with that.