Food The (not so) delicious food thread

I had the impossible burger the other day. Could not tell the difference from a normal burger. Except it didnt make me choke like beef does these days.

That said, i didnt like it, not cause the impossible part, but just because i dont like fast food burgers, and it tasted just like one
One of them was pretty good (Impossible?), but the other left a HORRIBLE aftertaste in my mouth (Beyond?).

I had the impossible burger the other day. Could not tell the difference from a normal burger. Except it didnt make me choke like beef does these days.

That said, i didnt like it, not cause the impossible part, but just because i dont like fast food burgers, and it tasted just like one
We're you in a fast food restaurant? I've been wondering how one from a nicer restaurant would taste.

Haven't tried the impossible (apparently BK sells it, but not in NS yet) but I've had the beyond beef burger a few times from A&W.

It's obvious it's not a beef burger, but it's decent in its own right.

BK has them here but they're priced the same as meat ones. I get they don't have the economies of scale but still....

I'm open to the idea but not at that price.
Might try One anyway just out of curiosity.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
burger king.
That's where I've had it. It tastes just how I remember a Whopper tasting. I enjoyed the beyond from Burgerfi better. It tastes less like meat which I like about it. It still tastes like a fast food burger though.

BK has them here but they're priced the same as meat ones. I get they don't have the economies of scale but still....

I'm open to the idea but not at that price.
Might try One anyway just out of curiosity.

They must see your area as a harder place to convert, because all the artificial burgers here are way more expensive than the “real” beef ones. That’s pretty much the only reason I haven’t tried one yet.

They must see your area as a harder place to convert, because all the artificial burgers here are way more expensive than the “real” beef ones. That’s pretty much the only reason I haven’t tried one yet.

We already have a bunch of vegan/vegetarian stuff here. Also BK's aren't as dense as other fast food places here. There's some, but places like Wendy's or McDonalds may have locations a mile or 2 apart where BK might have one for each major section of the city and none on the rich side of town.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
We already have a bunch of vegan/vegetarian stuff here. Also BK's aren't as dense as other fast food places here. There's some, but places like Wendy's or McDonalds may have locations a mile or 2 apart where BK might have one for each major section of the city and none on the rich side of town.

I’m sure you have plenty of vegan stuff etc but you know capitalism. If they knew it would sell well, it would be expensive, like here. Every fast food joint has Impossible or whatnot but they’re more than its beef burger originator.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I’m sure you have plenty of vegan stuff etc but you know capitalism. If they knew it would sell well, it would be expensive, like here. Every fast food joint has Impossible or whatnot but they’re more than its beef burger originator.

Some of it has to be sunk in R&D. Probably took a lot of work (and who knows how many chemical carcinogens) to make some leaves seem like kind of a meat thingy.

If it takes off, cool.
I still say they should just concentrate on just making it good tasting food instead of "it's just like meat!".

Some of it has to be sunk in R&D. Probably took a lot of work (and who knows how many chemical carcinogens) to make some leaves seem like kind of a meat thingy.

If it takes off, cool.
I still say they should just concentrate on just making it good tasting food instead of "it's just like meat!".
Cliffs - GMO yeast with a soybean gene injected for that meaty texture. Yuum.:barf:

• Gravy
R&D is probably pretty cheap on the things compared to everything else... there's facilities, equipment, people, ingredient sourcing, supply chain related stuff... and right now I'd say even at the high prices they're charging at fast food places, they're still taking a loss at their current sales volume.

It's a gamble. They're trying hard to get out there and get their product everywhere, so people can try it. Maybe it'll catch on and they'll be successful companies, maybe they'll go kaput and we'll be all back to plain 'ol beef burgers.

Personally I'm expecting Impossible/Beyond Meat to go tits up in a couple of years, get bought for pennies on the dollar by Kraft/PepsiCo/whoever, then get made in high volume for a lower price and that's when they'll catch on proper.

• Gravy
R&D is probably pretty cheap on the things compared to everything else... there's facilities, equipment, people, ingredient sourcing, supply chain related stuff... and right now I'd say even at the high prices they're charging at fast food places, they're still taking a loss at their current sales volume.

It's a gamble. They're trying hard to get out there and get their product everywhere, so people can try it. Maybe it'll catch on and they'll be successful companies, maybe they'll go kaput and we'll be all back to plain 'ol beef burgers.

Personally I'm expecting Impossible/Beyond Meat to go tits up in a couple of years, get bought for pennies on the dollar by Kraft/PepsiCo/whoever, then get made in high volume for a lower price and that's when they'll catch on proper.

That's when you get corporate lobbyists buying government pissants on the cheap to write the legal definitions of what "meatless" is.

That's what they do with "free range" now. One chicken per cage isn't free range, but six chickens in a fence no bigger than if you set six single-chicken cages next to each other is, because they don't have a wall between them.

• Gravy
Reactions: gee and wetwillie
That's when you get corporate lobbyists buying government pissants on the cheap to write the legal definitions of what "meatless" is.

That's what they do with "free range" now. One chicken per cage isn't free range, but six chickens in a fence no bigger than if you set six single-chicken cages next to each other is, because they don't have a wall between them.
They mean the chickens have "free range" to sex now. Their peckers haven't evolved to reach through the cage walls so 6 to a cell is truly a kindness.

• Gravy
200119264Resized20200118201958.jpg
dirt cheap roast + amazingribs.com corned beef recipe w/all the extras + their "close to katz" pastrami recipe = unf