Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Yeah, none of your TorqueFlite and 700R4 knowledge from 1966 applies to a modern transmission, old guy.
God that sucks, nothing I remember from when I was 6 years old applies.
Yeah, none of your TorqueFlite and 700R4 knowledge from 1966 applies to a modern transmission, old guy.
Ok, it's inside now. Shame but yeah, progress. Still outside on some later models . . . Honda was doing them up outside until early 20-teens afaik.
Don't be more dick than usual. I'll try to do the same.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum
God that sucks, nothing I remember from when I was 6 years old applies.

Ok, it's inside now. Shame but yeah, progress. Still outside on some later models . . . Honda was doing them up outside until early 20-teens afaik.
Don't be more dick than usual. I'll try to do the same.
I've never seen a post 2000 transmission that didn't have the solenoids integrated as part of the valve body. Hell, even the stupid Jatco in @AppleTurkey's Infiniti has the solenoids and transmission control unit inside the case. I know GM was doing the same, too, starting with the 4L60.

I'm just calling you old because you're 60, gramps. Go hang an onion from your belt or something :p

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
I've never seen a post 2000 transmission that didn't have the solenoids integrated as part of the valve body. Hell, even the stupid Jatco in @AppleTurkey's Infiniti has the solenoids and transmission control unit inside the case. I know GM was doing the same, too, starting with the 4L60.

I'm just calling you old because you're 60, gramps. Go hang an onion from your belt or something :p
Sorry homes, Honda went past 2000 with exturdnal on some models. Can we compromise with a shallot up my butt?:p

And it looks like you can buy the solenoid separate, just not from the dealer.

I'd say call up an independent tranny shop, say "hey I've got a subaru CVT that needs this solenoid replaced, I can source the solenoid or you can", and have them do it. The job doesn't look that hard and it's definitely DIYable, but it'll be a miserable messy job best done with the car on a lift and you're definitely better off paying someone else to deal with that bullshit.
Yeah, I don't have time to wait for a solenoid to ship from Poland, as we only have one vehicle.

edit: Available on Amazon. yay

Last edited:
I can't tell you how many transmissions I've done in the driveway. I don't have enough fingers to count them. Just yesterday, I found a random pilot bushing in the lavender shrub I was cleaning up next to the garage.
is that because you're missing a bunch of fingers from doing transmissions in the driveway?