Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Ended up with some kinda tubular header on the forklift motor (no, seriously, the R16 shares a considerable amount with the H20 forklift motor).

View attachment 13914

The SU carbs were rebuilt by Ztherapy, and machined for bearing-mounted throttle shafts (stock they just got shoved through the aluminum bodies, so they end up wearing down and leaking over time).

Bout ready to pull that motor, though.
OH, this isn't a Z.

So, I played with something new today.
It isn't as good as welding, but for something non-structural that just needs to prevent leaks, this is pretty good. Figured I'd show it off for whoever doesn't have the capabilities of aluminum welding.

Amazon product ASIN B00012Y0FS

I tacked some shit in place

Then I set everything up

Gotta heat your workpiece up to 700F

Second cut being brazed.

Funnily enough, I pumped enough heat into the valve cover to make it too long to fit in the cylinder head

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
So, I played with something new today.
It isn't as good as welding, but for something non-structural that just needs to prevent leaks, this is pretty good. Figured I'd show it off for whoever doesn't have the capabilities of aluminum welding.

Amazon product ASIN B00012Y0FS

I tacked some shit in place

Then I set everything up

Gotta heat your workpiece up to 700F

Second cut being brazed.

Funnily enough, I pumped enough heat into the valve cover to make it too long to fit in the cylinder head

Cool. Only add I'll make is for initial heating of a biggerish piece like that these weed burners are real nice.
1616405078201.png

I bought aluminum brazing rods, intending to do that on my wood chipper torque tube thingy.

Couldn't get the piece hot enough with MAPP, and it was a toss-up between getting an oxypropane torch or something that could produce more heat, or just giving it to someone who could weld it together, and went with the latter.

So I got the codes from my mechanic P2762 and P2763. My internet sleuthing agrees with what he said. Apparently its likely the solenoid, which is only sold as part of the valve body. New part is dealer only and ~$1000.

I also found this, and its local to me. Since labor to replace the part is super fucking cheap, I could almost replace it twice for the cost of a new one. You guys know more than me, so what's your thoughts?

So I got the codes from my mechanic P2762 and P2763. My internet sleuthing agrees with what he said. Apparently its likely the solenoid, which is only sold as part of the valve body. New part is dealer only and ~$1000.

I also found this, and its local to me. Since labor to replace the part is super fucking cheap, I could almost replace it twice for the cost of a new one. You guys know more than me, so what's your thoughts?
your "this" doesnt have a link.

What is this vehicle? - solenoid is only sold as part of the valve body? That sounds very suspect. The solenoid is usually outside, VB inside . . . . The solenoid is usually 3 minute job. Valve body is much bigger job. very odd Mr. FLy.

Was there supposed to be a link in here, noob?

What is this vehicle? - solenoid is only sold as part of the valve body? That sounds very suspect. The solenoid is usually outside, VB inside . . . . The solenoid is usually 3 minute job. Valve body is much bigger job. very odd Mr. FLy.
Yeah, none of your TorqueFlite and 700R4 knowledge from 1966 applies to a modern transmission, old guy.

Unitization is a big trend for efficiencies other than repair.

"Oh, one LED in your headlight is out? That will be $3k."

Pull the solenoid from a valve body of a wrecked car at your nearest pull-a-part place.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Looks that the "non-serviceable" part is indeed serviceable if you can get the solenoid.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Looks that the "non-serviceable" part is indeed serviceable if you can get the solenoid.

And it looks like you can buy the solenoid separate, just not from the dealer.

I'd say call up an independent tranny shop, say "hey I've got a subaru CVT that needs this solenoid replaced, I can source the solenoid or you can", and have them do it. The job doesn't look that hard and it's definitely DIYable, but it'll be a miserable messy job best done with the car on a lift and you're definitely better off paying someone else to deal with that bullshit.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Domon