Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Wait till you get into a dodge ram and the auto shifter is a knob next to the ac. I legit had to look at the manual to figure out how to put it in drive.

I grew up with 4 on the floor and you can only get it in German cars now.

I grew up on pickup trucks that were actually made for working, as in for regular driving you started out in 2nd. 1st gear was just to get rolling pulling really heavy loads. Unsynchronized. Top speed like 2 or 3 mph. So unless you were really working it they were essentially 3-speeds.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Transmissions are getting “smart” enough that a manual isn’t necessary anymore. A manual transmission isn’t even an option on the new Vette, automatic only.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Transmissions are getting “smart” enough that a manual isn’t necessary anymore. A manual transmission isn’t even an option on the new Vette, automatic only.

My folks explorer has a setting where you can toggle through the gears and use them to drag your speed down like you do with a manual for mountain driving, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Automatics have got a heck of a lot better. The ZF 8HP in the Q5 is great, there's really no good reason to pick the 7-speed DSG transmission over it. Just as quick, same gas mileage, cheaper to buy, less maintenance, and it's used across all sorts of different automakers and proven reliable.

For cheap cars I drive where you've got a choice between a 5 speed manual and a 4 speed auto, and the 5 speed is quicker + better on gas... manual all the way.

Tom Magliozzi, one of the hosts of Car Talk, had a '93 Miata as his last car before he died in 2014. His son is raffling it off to benefit WBUR, the NPR station that broadcast Car Talk.
Default donation is $120, but I don't see anything that says how much of a donation makes you elligible for the drawing

https://www.wbur.org/p/fundraiser

I grew up on pickup trucks that were actually made for working, as in for regular driving you started out in 2nd. 1st gear was just to get rolling pulling really heavy loads. Unsynchronized. Top speed like 2 or 3 mph. So unless you were really working it they were essentially 3-speeds.
Idk if you were here when I had it but... Damn can't find the pics, I've still got the YouTube vids though.

1967 M35. 13000 lbs, 5 speed. Max speed was about 50 mph. First two gears were crawler, we used it to pull out many trees. 137 hph! 6 wheels on the ground though. Multifuel engine, diesel, gasoline (mixed with motor oil), jp8 (mixed with gas), ethanol allegedly never tried it.

This was me and my brother's first car. Went to a surplus auction at a NG armory to buy it.

Now my friends v6 mustang has a 6 speed? (It is not peppy, or he sucks at driving)

• Gravy
Idk if you were here when I had it but... Damn can't find the pics, I've still got the YouTube vids though.

1967 M35. 13000 lbs, 5 speed. Max speed was about 50 mph. First two gears were crawler, we used it to pull out many trees. 137 hph! 6 wheels on the ground though. Multifuel engine, diesel, gasoline (mixed with motor oil), jp8 (mixed with gas), ethanol allegedly never tried it.

This was me and my brother's first car. Went to a surplus auction at a NG armory to buy it.

Now my friends v6 mustang has a 6 speed? (It is not peppy, or he sucks at driving)

"Deuce and a half" ? Yep. The army still used those when I was in. Don't know if they still do, seems anything newer had auto trans and power steering.

Would be cool AF to have one.

Just found out the one and only guy I would ever call "my mechanic" or send people to if they had a problem passed away recently from leukemia. At age 59.

Dude was cool AF. Bit of a character/joker and honest as the day is long.
Never upsold anyone on b.s. just because he could, just took care of them.

For me, he'd tell me a little tip or trick to try if there was something I just couldn't figure out. He knew I mostly knew what I was doing and i'd figure it out if I just had that one little bit of missing info or thing I wasn't aware of. So he'd say, " try that and if it still doesn't work bring it in". I never once had to bring anything in after taking his advice. So all I could do as far as business was go get inspections there, round it up to even bills, and tell him to throw the change in the tip jar. And send other people to him.

The guy didn't have aspirations of making big business expansions, becoming a franchise tycoon, and getting rich selling people cabin air filters. He ran his little shop that took care of him and his 2 or 3 employees he'd be out turning wrenches with half the time because he was a real and true car guy.

Had an extra spot there where he kept his old Plymouth Duster he built into a drag car and would haul out on weekends to drag race with other guys who were into 60's-70's muscle cars.

RIP Martin.

His senior employee bought the business from him. Younger guy, in his 30's, who's also a sharp mechanic, had Martin's knowledge passed on to him, and shares his ethos as well.
So got some business cards with the new owner on them and can keep sending people there telling them "this guy will take care of you".

Sucks, but the next generation is in good hands.

Finished the wiring harness for the dash, and put the dash back into the 240Z, BTW. It's getting close to when I can turn that bitch over and start it for the first time with its new L28.

Just found out the one and only guy I would ever call "my mechanic" or send people to if they had a problem passed away recently from leukemia. At age 59.

Dude was cool AF. Bit of a character/joker and honest as the day is long.
Never upsold anyone on b.s. just because he could, just took care of them.

For me, he'd tell me a little tip or trick to try if there was something I just couldn't figure out. He knew I mostly knew what I was doing and i'd figure it out if I just had that one little bit of missing info or thing I wasn't aware of. So he'd say, " try that and if it still doesn't work bring it in". I never once had to bring anything in after taking his advice. So all I could do as far as business was go get inspections there, round it up to even bills, and tell him to throw the change in the tip jar. And send other people to him.

The guy didn't have aspirations of making big business expansions, becoming a franchise tycoon, and getting rich selling people cabin air filters. He ran his little shop that took care of him and his 2 or 3 employees he'd be out turning wrenches with half the time because he was a real and true car guy.

Had an extra spot there where he kept his old Plymouth Duster he built into a drag car and would haul out on weekends to drag race with other guys who were into 60's-70's muscle cars.

RIP Martin.

His senior employee bought the business from him. Younger guy, in his 30's, who's also a sharp mechanic, had Martin's knowledge passed on to him, and shares his ethos as well.
So got some business cards with the new owner on them and can keep sending people there telling them "this guy will take care of you".

Sucks, but the next generation is in good hands.
Aw. I bought my last car from a dude like that. He was gonna give it to his daughter for college but she complained and he was like then no car.

He knew I just didn't have diagnostic tools. Would always tell me the whole problem and I'd go home and fix it.

• Gravy