Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Have started deconstructing the "office on wheels" my Ford Transit Connect was before me. Holy shit, the entire cargo area had this 1/2" piece of some REALLY heavy plastic, cut perfectly to the vehicle. It will make a nice template . . Got that 250 lbs. out of there. They installed some nice kit to fill in the gap behind the front seats where 2nd row passengers would put their feet if it had seat. I'll leave those. Next is the roof rack. Someone who hauls ladders should love it. Another 250 +lbs. off and I will then be able to park in the garage. Plus, fuck all that wind drag. :) I like the invertor & spare battery setup it came with but the battery cables need to be beefed up and ran another 4 feet. So I can get the weight to the passenger side. :cool:

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Have started deconstructing the "office on wheels" my Ford Transit Connect was before me. Holy shit, the entire cargo area had this 1/2" piece of some REALLY heavy plastic, cut perfectly to the vehicle. It will make a nice template . . Got that 250 lbs. out of there. They installed some nice kit to fill in the gap behind the front seats where 2nd row passengers would put their feet if it had seat. I'll leave those. Next is the roof rack. Someone who hauls ladders should love it. Another 250 +lbs. off and I will then be able to park in the garage. Plus, fuck all that wind drag. :) I like the invertor & spare battery setup it came with but the battery cables need to be beefed up and ran another 4 feet. So I can get the weight to the passenger side. :cool:
So now every time a tool rattles loose and hits the inside of the van, you'll get a nice dent on the outside?

Looks like I gotta replace the drivers window motor. It works, and then stops working for long periods of time, but even when its not working the RPMs drop from the current draw so I know its not the switch. A new one is $200. grrrr

Looks like I gotta replace the drivers window motor. It works, and then stops working for long periods of time, but even when its not working the RPMs drop from the current draw so I know its not the switch. A new one is $200. grrrr
What does a used one go for at LKQ?

Would almost certainly be a fair bit less than $100 for the whole regulator.
On some the motors are riveted on and easier to just replace the whole thing.

why not leave it as a wear layer. Whats the need to reduce weight?
Ridiculously heavy(incrimental wear and milage hit), eats up 1/2" or more of space and just lets the floor hum from road noise(not saying I hear any, just saying.) I have a very nice rug that I bought so drummers wouldn't fuck up my basement carpet. I'll cut that prick using the template, maybe stick down a layer of foam slip sheet, you know, the shit that goes under glue-less flooring. The roof rack(below) - it's very nice but I'm selling that prick off, they are $2k new. I figure $500 OBO on criags. I have a 16' box truck if I need to move a long ladder.
1638992922289.png

He knows better than those arrogant engineers with their snivelling book-learnin' and equations.
Dude, it isnt part of the vehicle as engineered. It's just some shit someone cut to lay in there. and glue carpet too. So they could have an office chair to roll on. Holding moisure and shmutz that get in the gap below it. Change, dog hair, a $5(serios), a Sennheiser USB cord, etc. A really shitty CD of music. I want something I can pull out periodically and clean easily.
But I appreciate your concern. WHich is why I gave you some fodder to chew on. Now go back to hassling fly. He's more clueless and tool-less than me. :)

Bought four 17" Tiguan steelies for the Q5, I figure the Q5 was available with 17's so they'd fit.

Then bought four nice 245/65R17 tires, got them installed and balanced on the rims.

Jack up the car, to fire on the winters tonight... shit don't fit, calipers stick too far outwards and they touch the face on the steelies.

Now I gotta buy four alloys, move the tires over and sell the steelies. I'm a dumbass.

• Sad
Reactions: wetwillie
Needs a waterbed a lava light and an 8 track player.

• Love
Needs a waterbed a lava light and an 8 track player.
I have an air mattress and a mylar blanket in my emergency kit. That and the shitty factory stereo will have to suffice. :) I was amazed these guys wondered why I want to remove 500 extra lbs. from a vehicle with a total cargo load capacity of 1400 lbs. I like having a 4 cylinder - no power means I don't get into trouble. Just enjoy the big windshield and purr along. Awesome pee-paw van.
1639043340490.png

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I have an air mattress and a mylar blanket in my emergency kit. That and the shitty factory stereo will have to suffice. :) I was amazed these guys wondered why I want to remove 500 extra lbs. from a vehicle with a total cargo load capacity of 1400 lbs. I like having a 4 cylinder - no power means I don't get into trouble. Just enjoy the big windshield and purr along. Awesome pee-paw van.
View attachment 15324
I don't know the name of the stuff you're talking about but it amounts to a giant plastic cutting board? Heavy AF. Definitely not part of the van. Can make a flat floor if you want a hell of a lot lighter than that.

• Gravy