Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

yeah, im really trying not to be myself and DIY this one.

Also, we need 6 heads, and that gets out of DIY range pretty quick. Apparently the multi-head systems are kinda a nightmare to work with.
You're a manager. Set milestones and deadlines, and take the proposal to @peanut and see if she'll agree.

A minisplit isn't rocket surgery, and at 1600 square feet, you're talking maybe 2 ton capacity (unless you're doing it in the wrong order and haven't insulated or weatherproofed yet). I'd personally do a 4 head and a 2 head, depending on how you're planning to lay out the system.

I've done a 2-head mini split on my friend's garage, it wasn't bad at all.

layout of the house makes it ugly. Open floor plan, yeah, itd be 2 12,000 BTU units. But the closed floor plan makes it 6 9k units

layout of the house makes it ugly. Open floor plan, yeah, itd be 2 12,000 BTU units. But the closed floor plan makes it 6 9k units
Oof. Yeah I mostly saw them on duplexes with studio layouts.

Try calling W.L. Stanton for an estimate. They used to give decent estimates for our projects.

Just put a medicine cabinet in the powder room and need a new light fixture as a consequence. I had my choice between "FOLKSMATE" and "SOLFART" and I think you guys know which one I bought.

• Haha
Reactions: fly
Our keezer isn't cooling. I can hear the compressor running. I can see ice forming on the 'unfinned' part of the coils, but that's it. I've swapped out the thermostat with one from a refrigerator, and put holes in the door. It's soul crushing to think I might have to rebuild the whole fucking thing.

Our keezer isn't cooling. I can hear the compressor running. I can see ice forming on the 'unfinned' part of the coils, but that's it. I've swapped out the thermostat with one from a refrigerator, and put holes in the door. It's soul crushing to think I might have to rebuild the whole fucking thing.
ohm out the compressor. http://www.davesrepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYcmprtest.htm

Yeah but he said ice is forming. It sounds like the evap coils are dirty or it's low on coolant
Yeah, its weird? The coils have fins on them, but the only place on the coils that seem to be getting cold is like the 4" right before the fins start. And getting an honest appliance repair person (that wouldn't just say 'replace the whole thing') seems harder than landing on the moon.

Yeah, its weird? The coils have fins on them, but the only place on the coils that seem to be getting cold is like the 4" right before the fins start. And getting an honest appliance repair person (that wouldn't just say 'replace the whole thing') seems harder than landing on the moon.
I'd make sure it's full on coolant. Might be hard if you don't have the tools. Then you might be losing coolant from a leak like Mike said so you'd still have to replace it.

If the fins are duper dirty just rinse them. It's messy but lots of the time simple answer is right.

I'd make sure it's full on coolant. Might be hard if you don't have the tools. Then you might be losing coolant from a leak like Mike said so you'd still have to replace it.

If the fins are duper dirty just rinse them. It's messy but lots of the time simple answer is right.
I've never seen a fridge with service ports before.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
And then what in the fuck do you do? I'm assuming this above my paygrade?
Then you fix the leak.

IDK what the service pressures are on your keezer, but there should be a pressure chart online. Up to about 150 PSI, I'd consider silver soldering tube, but if it's somewhere like the evaporator or condenser, probably easier to just find a new one of those and then solder it in.

And then what in the fuck do you do? I'm assuming this above my paygrade?
Once you find the leak, you decide what you want to do. If its leaking somewhere on the condenser, thats kind of easy to replace. If its coming from a bolted together joint then its probably an o-ring. If its leaking cause the cooling fin array has a crack on it... I mean...
Welp.