Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

it's probably not worth it to buy a house in the entire DMV. At best it'll be in the ghetto when they finish the purple line. Cromwell station pretty much made northern anne arundel a dump.
I don't think it'll work that way. The purple line doesn't go anywhere new. I think those neighborhoods are going to be what they are going to be.

Dunno why I keep thinking the PO of my house knew his ass from a hole in the ground.

He evidently thought that he could replace the rotted threshold for the double door in the back with two single door thresholds and kinda half-ass the hole for the lower locking pin in between the two.

Couldn't find a non-Pella part replacement for it, so I had to make my own. Hickory with poly, single piece, held in by the fasteners that I could extract without breaking. It's 57 3/4"x1 1/2"x1/2", so to make it from the rough lumber, I got to use the jointer (put a true edge on), planer (cut the parallel edges to true and then plane to thickness), table saw (rip to 1 1/2" wide), miter saw (chop to length), router table (roundover), drill press (holes and countersink), and chisel (escutcheon plate for the locking pin).

IMG_20230114_130305529_HDR.jpeg

I'm happy with it, the door closes better now, and the bottom of the door actually seals. Original two are on the right, lol.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: Josh and ZRH
Been getting HVAC quotes lately to swap out the piece of shit oil furnace furnace for a heat pump of some kind. I've got two fuckoff quotes of close to $50,000 for a 1600 ft² house, and have a couple more estimates that I hope are in the reasonable realm. I really don't want to DIY this one.

• Sad
Reactions: Jehannum
Been getting HVAC quotes lately to swap out the piece of shit oil furnace furnace for a heat pump of some kind. I've got two fuckoff quotes of close to $50,000 for a 1600 ft² house, and have a couple more estimates that I hope are in the reasonable realm. I really don't want to DIY this one.
Is that for a fucking geothermal heat pump? Holy shit.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
For reference, I had the highest efficiency gas furnace available (98.x%) and 22 SEER AC installed in may of 2020 for $25k.

It actually sounds around average for here. Higher end of average but there's a reason alot of people just put in minisplits.
minisplits got quoted @ 65k.

Which is bullshit for easy access (external walls with good lineset paths, or a central chase that hits 4 our of 6 minis)

Dude, you can just buy those with pre-vacuumed linesets for a couple grand a pop.
yeah, im really trying not to be myself and DIY this one.

Also, we need 6 heads, and that gets out of DIY range pretty quick. Apparently the multi-head systems are kinda a nightmare to work with.