Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Sooner or later the stuff will be ubiquitous to the point you'll at least have to know the basics and be able to include it in diagnosis, even working in "down-market" houses, rentals, etc.

Customer: "hey hips, my ceiling fan stopped working!"

Hips: "did you pay your internet bill?"

Maybe the fan is ok. Maybe it's some nerd code issue. Or maybe there's some controller or switch to replace that has to be compatible with such and such HA version 2.1 or greater or whatever.

Or to be able to install/retrofit stuff for someone and be able to foresee possible problems. Get the correct physical parts hooked up right the first time and just leave them to program things how they want, etc.

Haven't run into that yet but it's coming, likely sooner than later.
meh, X10 shit has been around since the 1970s, and it hasn't gained traction.

The only people who really care about it are niche nerds like us who have to make sure that the outside lighting is pink for coming out day, and that the dildo is set to 7.5A before we get home.

The only people who really care about it are niche nerds like us who have to make sure that the outside lighting is pink for coming out day, and that the dildo is set to 7.5A before we get home.

I figure people are going to want to control more and more stuff from their phone, especially as it all keeps getting cheaper and easier.

Security/camera systems for renters are already commonplace. Can install, remove, take them with you to the next place, without doing any more "damage" than hanging a picture or a curtain rod, no wiring, etc. Then watch video of your cat on your phone.

Why not thermostats, ceiling fans, lights, etc. Someday it will be expected as basic equipment/function.
Can at least see installing things that are compatible with it as the older stuff wears out.

Sooner or later the stuff will be ubiquitous to the point you'll at least have to know the basics and be able to include it in diagnosis, even working in "down-market" houses, rentals, etc.

Customer: "hey hips, my ceiling fan stopped working!"

Hips: "did you pay your internet bill?"

Maybe the fan is ok. Maybe it's some nerd code issue. Or maybe there's some controller or switch to replace that has to be compatible with such and such HA version 2.1 or greater or whatever.

Or to be able to install/retrofit stuff for someone and be able to foresee possible problems. Get the correct physical parts hooked up right the first time and just leave them to program things how they want, etc.

Haven't run into that yet but it's coming, likely sooner than later.
I disagree. I think the trajectory will be: much of that tech will be dumb boxes user don't really fuck with, they'll have a simple tester that says yeah/neah and you will either keep or pitch the shit at either end of the interface. A bit like the code checker for your car. Many parts what it really tells you is "it'fine" or "it's fucked, time to order another". I love talking tech, but . . . It's the difference between tweaking dynamic parameters/setting to get things working and fixing physical items with a physically broke state. I think the discussion is valuable for those dealing with it - while the market matures.
1603116965022.png

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I disagree. I think the trajectory will be: much of that tech will be dumb boxes user don't really fuck with, they'll have a simple tester that says yeah/neah and you will either keep or pitch the shit at either end of the interface. A bit like the code checker for your car. Many parts what it really tells you is "it'fine" or "it's fucked, time to order another". I love talking tech, but . . . It's the difference between tweaking dynamic parameters/setting to get things working and fixing physical items with a physically broke state. I think the discussion is valuable for those dealing with it - while the market matures.
View attachment 12692

Great, more "just throw it away and get another one".

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
I don't follow here...

conbee II > deconz supports all my zigbee devices natively.

HUSB-Z1 > ZHA does not, and its the root of my problems. It either requires custom bytecode, or modifications which I havent yet figured out

I got the HUSB-Z1 because its a combined zigbee/zwave stick and the recommended device for HA.

I don't see a way that it doesn't get into everyone's homes eventually. Hell, there's probably a nice future where no one hardwires switches when building a house. Just stick them on the wall wherever you want.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
conbee II > deconz supports all my zigbee devices natively.

HUSB-Z1 > ZHA does not, and its the root of my problems. It either requires custom bytecode, or modifications which I havent yet figured out

I got the HUSB-Z1 because its a combined zigbee/zwave stick and the recommended device for HA.
I have that stick on my Amazon list for once I go full local. You're saying it doesn't work with ZHA? :wtf:

I have that stick on my Amazon list for once I go full local. You're saying it doesn't work with ZHA? :wtf:

It seems in general that the ZHA support is limited. Its good for things like binary sensors and simple stuff, but not more complex devices. It may mature over time, but right not its poor. That the more robust solution right now is a zigbee2mqtt solution like conbee II

There are also complaint with the HUSB-Z1 that when you reboot your HA instance, it takes down the zigbee network and it does not come back cleanly

It seems in general that the ZHA support is limited. Its good for things like binary sensors and simple stuff, but not more complex devices. It may mature over time, but right not its poor. That the more robust solution right now is a zigbee2mqtt solution like conbee II

There are also complaint with the HUSB-Z1 that when you reboot your HA instance, it takes down the zigbee network and it does not come back cleanly
Are you sure about all this, that device is actually listed as working under ZHA (although they do recommend updating the firmware).

There has to be something else wrong.

ZHA exception and deviation handling

^^ many if not all zigbee devices prior to 2018 fall into this category. Since zigbee is not a paid standard like zwave, noone follows the rules of implementation and almost every device has one exception or another ive found

I don't see a way that it doesn't get into everyone's homes eventually. Hell, there's probably a nice future where no one hardwires switches when building a house. Just stick them on the wall wherever you want.
We'll still need wall outlets and this will lead to multiple fucked spots on the wall where people were looking for the light switch. "A horrible future where every time you wake up, the light switch has been moved. Welcome to The FlyLight Zone"

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
No exactly home improvement, but my lawnmower guy came and cut the lawns around the house yesterday afternoon. First time since beginning of August due to the drought that we've had. He said he's been hurting this year. Jobs were few and far between. Then a couple weeks of busy lawn & landscaping work for out-of-staters then jobs dried up as the ground did. Anyway, the three maple trees next to my house dropped their leaves so he was able to mulch that into the lawn. Looks much better. Next time I see him will be first snowstorm. Although western Maine mountains got up to 9" inches of snow this past Saturday.

• Sad
Reactions: wetwillie
I know you did, i was replying to you :p badly.

the peanut plugs work perfectly by the way. Those are some of the best smart plugs i have.
So put a peanut plug in there. And I'm sure you probably know this, but the device can be too far, but also too close (so don't drag HA to the lock). And also check what zigbee channel you're using and make sure that your wifi isn't on a similar channel.

So put a peanut plug in there. And I'm sure you probably know this, but the device can be too far, but also too close (so don't drag HA to the lock). And also check what zigbee channel you're using and make sure that your wifi isn't on a similar channel.

HA hub is closest to the lock (server closet is like 9 feet from the door with the zigbee lock), all the other zigbee devices in the house are passive. I suppose i could put a peanut plug about 5 feet from the lock so the lock would be an endpoint off of the peanut plug, but that shouldnt really be necessary