Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Since you first started suggesting like 80 solutions, i havent once had a chance to sit down and actually try to fix this by the way :p

My duckdns/nginx implentation appears to have broken as well, so i can no longer access it remotely on lunch break or whatever to poke around.

I reisntalled the entire OS like two nights ago cause i fucked up the underlying linux host with a failed Guacamole install

• Haha
Reactions: fly
Since you first started suggesting like 80 solutions, i havent once had a chance to sit down and actually try to fix this by the way :p

My duckdns/nginx implentation appears to have broken as well, so i can no longer access it remotely on lunch break or whatever to poke around.

I reisntalled the entire OS like two nights ago cause i fucked up the underlying linux host with a failed Guacamole install
Reminder, while implementing the 80 fixes, install the Google Drive Backup plugin. Makes restoring a BREEZE.

On a positive note, home assistant is an amazing front end to your entire house, not just smarthome shit. The built in docker management is as good or better than unraids in many ways.

• Gravy
Yes, its a bare metal restore (from whenever your last backup was). I have it set to run daily and keep the last 7 backups.
nice, ill install that tonight cause i regularly fuck up my base OS just by experimenting :p

well goddamn. @fly I updated the zigbee firmware on the stick and now unlock and lock states are exposed. Jammed and code changes still arent exposed though, but its a step in the right direction

• Gravy
well goddamn. @fly I updated the zigbee firmware on the stick and now unlock and lock states are exposed. Jammed and code changes still arent exposed though, but its a step in the right direction
I don't think mine shows jammed state either. And code changes would have to be done via Dev Tools until there is a zigbee lock manager.

was converting some of the kitchen outlets to quads and adding a few new circuits to bring it up to code yesterday and found that when they had the walls open (the only modern wall in my house!, just drywall and cavity) instead of drilling through the cabinet blocking and going straight down the stud bay, they drilled sideways two stud bays over, did a mid-wall splice with no j-box of old rotting cloth wire and modern nm, and then drywalled it all up. fuckers.

On the plus side, this is the last room of wiring I havent completely re-done, so i should be done with htis nonsense soonish.

Had to cut an access hole in the opposing wall and properly drill down through the cabinet blocking so i could go straight down the correct stud bay.

Also learned that my new cordless drill is torquey enough to turn a spade bit into a twist bit..... i may actually for once in my life have to use the clutch settings on a drill.

On a completely different note, our convection oven is on its way out, so on Prime day i bought this completely ridiculous Apple of touchscreen toaster ovens. I bet the cloud shuts down within a year and i have to jailbreak it to toast unauthorized bread.

Speaking of which, Unauthorized Bread is a fantastic short story: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...tale-of-refugees-and-sinister-iot-appliances/

• A built-in sensor automatically detects the starting temperature of your food, so it's always cooked to your exact liking, regardless of whether it's fresh or frozen.1
  • With 11 different cooking modes, you can create never-ending, awe-inspiring meals.
  • The path to cooking nirvana is always in reach with the Whirlpool® App.2
  • Voice activation available with Amazon Alexa-enabled devices.2
  • Live Look-in lets you watch meals cook on the mobile device from any location.3
  • The food thermometer cooks food with precision and alerts you when it’s at your desired doneness.3

• Gravy
The build quality in my most recent Whirlpool purchases seems to have suffered. However, their customer service is based in Michigan and they will bend over backwards to make you happy. That part has been amazingly impressive.

Hopefully the UI/UX shit is better on yours, cause our fridge and dishwasher are absolutely atrocious.

The build quality in my most recent Whirlpool purchases seems to have suffered. However, their customer service is based in Michigan and they will bend over backwards to make you happy. That part has been amazingly impressive.
this thing apparently is super high build quality due to being a one-off by their innovation lab. Overengineered by nerds

• Gravy
So I realized that Home Assistant has a (fully supported) Hyper-V virtual appliance. I decided to install it, rather than my Ubuntu Hyper-V with HA installed through Docker. It couldn't have been easier. Full snapshot of my Frankenstein HA install. Add the appliance. Upload the backup during setup. Boom, everything back just like before.

The only thing I had to change was the setting in HA for its IP address (because I wanted to use a new static address).