Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Top surface of the ground freezes in the winter and expands, then it thaws in the winter and shrinks.... and doesn't necessarily end up exactly the same as it was below winter, so stuff buried shallow ends up getting pushed around a bit.

If you want your fence posts to stay upright, you gotta bury them into the stable soil below the frost line.
I guess you didn't get my Florida-centric joke.

Top surface of the ground freezes in the winter and expands, then it thaws in the winter and shrinks.... and doesn't necessarily end up exactly the same as it was below winter, so stuff buried shallow ends up getting pushed around a bit.

If you want your fence posts to stay upright, you gotta bury them into the stable soil below the frost line.
whats a frost line?

I hate that path. It collects the pea gravel from the landscaping around it (which is plentiful, since the dogs throw it around), and the gravel blends in like a hillbilly in realtree. Shit's worse than lego to walk over.
Here in Michigan that would be "slip proof". :fly: Yeah, texture has it's drawbacks. I broom finished a driveway once - I suffered from that decision until I moved away.:case:

idk - I'm in Mid-Michigan and nobody sets fence posts more than 2 feet deep. 6' steel poles for 4' chain link, 8' 4X4s for wood fences. An 80 lb. bag per pole is plenty. Seems the freeze/thaw isn't much of a force on something that small.

Not a fan of the post bracket unless the post is less than 4' tall - like a mailbox. Weakest part of the whole deal is at the point where it can flex. At that bracket. Bracket's rust, nails get loose. J-hook over RedHead for a post. But I like the REdHeads.

idk - I'm in Mid-Michigan and nobody sets fence posts more than 2 feet deep. 6' steel poles for 4' chain link, 8' 4X4s for wood fences. An 80 lb. bag per pole is plenty. Seems the freeze/thaw isn't much of a force on something that small.

Not a fan of the post bracket unless the post is less than 4' tall - like a mailbox. Weakest part of the whole deal is at the point where it can flex. At that bracket. Bracket's rust, nails get loose. J-hook over RedHead for a post. But I like the REdHeads.
brackets galvanized, and you'd better not be using nails.

I'm more stunned by the shit look of the whole deal. No attempt to have that piece of 2X blend in, wire ran crooked.

And don't cover the f'n Romex @Valve1138 - it'll get too hot, especially outside.
Ideally, it should be in watertight conduit or EMT, and be individual conductors. Nothing wrong with romex in conduit though. Especially in a 1/2" conduit with a single run of 14/2.

But that's just code.

Ideally, it should be in watertight conduit or EMT, and be individual conductors. Nothing wrong with romex in conduit though. Especially in a 1/2" conduit with a single run of 14/2.

But that's just code.
N0 - Romex shouldn't be placed in conduit because it runs even hotter. It's already double jacketed. It was designed specifically for the open wiring of residential construction. Inside.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138