Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

kinda looks like a kid , may have just been fuckin around
Ya, I thought about that. Last night would have been the first weeknight of no school. On the other camera, he turned in a direction that indicates that he lives in the neighborhood. Tonight, I'm going to see if any other neighbors have good footage of the car around that time.

My on-demand propane hot water boiler has a water leak. And is getting progressively worse. Dripping down into a bucket right now, fills bucket halfway in like 8 hours. Brand is Quietside. Has known CPSC advisory for fires, replacement parts are near non-existent. Called the HVAC/propane company to come out and just replace it. Not worth dicking around. Thankful that this failed during this part of the year and not in the middle of winter. They're booked solid for a week however :|

My on-demand propane hot water boiler has a water leak. And is getting progressively worse. Dripping down into a bucket right now, fills bucket halfway in like 8 hours. Brand is Quietside. Has known CPSC advisory for fires, replacement parts are near non-existent. Called the HVAC/propane company to come out and just replace it. Not worth dicking around. Thankful that this failed during this part of the year and not in the middle of winter. They're booked solid for a week however :|
I really like our Navien tankless. It's cheap, it's reliable, it runs on both propane and natural gas, and it has a 1/2" gas connection.

The only downside is that it requires electricity to run.

I really like our Navien tankless. It's cheap, it's reliable, it runs on both propane and natural gas, and it has a 1/2" gas connection.

The only downside is that it requires electricity to run.
Yep, the Quietside requires electricity to operate the unit plus the recirculating pump. Thankfully it is low power and my generator has no problem with running it. I think the Quietside I have now has a 3/4" iron gas pipe going into it. There's no natural gas within 15 miles of me and won't ever be due to the rural area, so propane it is. I'm looking at the Bosch brand to replace the Quietside. Bosch units and spare parts are easily available at a local plumping supply house. I have a tech coming today at noontime to see if he can patch the Quietside up to get me by until they can replace the entire thing (and get a parts list to quote installation).

This is the part that is leaking: http://www.connollydist.com/actuator-3-way-valve556349

20181123_153838.jpg

I wish they had put up mold resistant drywall originally. Lower 2ft is soaked right now. I may ask the techs after they remove the Quietside unit from the wall if I can throw up some blue board real quick before they put up the new unit.20181123_153243_small.jpg
Part that is leaking is that Sankyo actuator (this is an old photo I took shortly after I moved in).

so confused as to what he was trying to do
We're thinking probably steal it (he appeared to be wadding it up) cause he was assuming its solar. He had no idea that it's plugged into the wall around the corner. I think he left because he heard a car coming behind him.

Replaced an outlet that we use for the vacuum frequently.

Drywall was cut wrong so the drywall ears weren’t tight, making the whole thing loose. The plug itself was worn out so plugs weren’t staying in.

Had some plastic box spacers for boxes mounted too deep. Used part of it as a spacer for the top screw.

Now the new outlet is nice and tight.

Also bought a bunch of new, white outlets, switches, and faceplates. Gonna go around the house and replace all the original dingy shit.

Tons of the outlets don’t hold plugs well. Time to go.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
I gotta get a 2 inch hole from inside to outside. (sump pump drain)

I either gotta drill through a 12 inch fieldstone foundation, a 14 inch rim "joist" that happens to be a walnut log. or through 8 inches of sheathing/plank sheathing/rigid foam/clapboards/vinyl siding.

None of those are pleasant options. Im inclined to run a flex pipe through a groundhog hole in the foundation :p It has at least a 8 inch "dip" though.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I gotta get a 2 inch hole from inside to outside. (sump pump drain)

I either gotta drill through a 12 inch fieldstone foundation, a 14 inch rim "joist" that happens to be a walnut log. or through 8 inches of sheathing/plank sheathing/rigid foam/clapboards/vinyl siding.

None of those are pleasant options. Im inclined to run a flex pipe through a groundhog hole in the foundation :p It has at least a 8 inch "dip" though.
#3 sounds the least painful.

Replaced an outlet that we use for the vacuum frequently.

Drywall was cut wrong so the drywall ears weren’t tight, making the whole thing loose. The plug itself was worn out so plugs weren’t staying in.

Had some plastic box spacers for boxes mounted too deep. Used part of it as a spacer for the top screw.

Now the new outlet is nice and tight.

Also bought a bunch of new, white outlets, switches, and faceplates. Gonna go around the house and replace all the original dingy shit.

Tons of the outlets don’t hold plugs well. Time to go.
Make sure you lick your fingers before you touch the terminals.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie