Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Should be fine as long as the wiring is up to 20 amp, i.e. 12 ga or larger(smaller #).

GFCI's don't have a secondary outputs so no. However. you could pig-tail in the switched circuit prior to the GFCI - obviously it won't be protected by same.
this is the right way to do it.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
But the actual switched outlet cannot be GFCI, correct?
Sure it could, if you pig-tail all three. Just don't try to cheat and use neutral for a ground or vis-a-vis. That should only happen one place - neutral bar in a primary box, never in a secondary panel. Unless you like a phase related backfeed that fries some appliances.

Sure it could, if you pig-tail all three. Just don't try to cheat and use neutral for a ground or vis-a-vis. That should only happen one place - neutral bar in a primary box, never in a secondary panel. Unless you like a phase related backfeed that fries some appliances.
hmmm, il have to check my secondary panel. I dont trust the previous fuckers (tm) to have not bonded the ground and neutral bars.

hmmm, il have to check my secondary panel. I dont trust the previous fuckers (tm) to have not bonded the ground and neutral bars.
No, I didn't Google this. It's in my bookmarks because I have this discussion seemingly once a month with someone. Salient points to consider. And check the bar to case binding too.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
we finally picked out paint for the upstairs, and have a fairly decent idea of what we want to do with doors & closets, so hopefully we can paint and door and carpet soon. on the one hand it's nice to do it all at once because you can choose your palette without restrictions (like oh, I have to pick paint that goes with the carpet we already have), but on the other hand it's overwhelming to coordinate it all and hope it ends up looking like I think it will (and TOO MANY CHOICES is also a hard one for me)

we finally picked out paint for the upstairs, and have a fairly decent idea of what we want to do with doors & closets, so hopefully we can paint and door and carpet soon. on the one hand it's nice to do it all at once because you can choose your palette without restrictions (like oh, I have to pick paint that goes with the carpet we already have), but on the other hand it's overwhelming to coordinate it all and hope it ends up looking like I think it will (and TOO MANY CHOICES is also a hard one for me)
A color wheel is sometimes helpful. Google dat.

• Gravy
Reactions: august
All three what? I'm clearly not understanding you. I want half of one GFCI plug to be switched. How exactly does that look?

A color wheel is sometimes helpful. Google dat.
yeah it's hard because like - the carpet we picked out isn't a single color, it's a pattern (not like airport carpet pattern, but like there are different colored ... carpet strings? yarn? idk what to call it. it's essentially speckled), so which of the colors in the carpet do I match to? and then with doors and trim, we're not gonna pay out the ass for fancy legit solid wood doors, so we're figuring out what exists that we can live with, and do we want to paint it or keep it wood (and then you gotta figure out what finish/stain to pick and does that particular brown go with the color, so door color is a limiting factor for wall color bc there are fewer door colors than wall colors, etc)

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
yeah it's hard because like - the carpet we picked out isn't a single color, it's a pattern (not like airport carpet pattern, but like there are different colored ... carpet strings? yarn? idk what to call it. it's essentially speckled), so which of the colors in the carpet do I match to? and then with doors and trim, we're not gonna pay out the ass for fancy legit solid wood doors, so we're figuring out what exists that we can live with, and do we want to paint it or keep it wood (and then you gotta figure out what finish to pick and does that particular brown go with the color, so door color is a limiting factor for wall color bc there are fewer door colors than wall colors, etc)
Carpet - go with the primary color I'd guess. Off-white with a touch of green or pink is usually nice against browns.

Yay, got my outdoor outlet hooked up last night!

Another question, the circuit breaker its on is 20A. But the outlet I tied into was 15A, as was the outlet that came with outdoor one (and apparently every other outlet in the house). Is that normal? My assumption would be that they should match.

How old is your house?

15 amp was considered standard for a long time (as in decades). 20 amp more recently (as in many years/few decades).

It is going the wrong way but unless you're maxing out circuits it might not matter.

Houses now have more electric draws than they ever used to but they are low draw. Led lighting, modern TVs , security cams, etc.

Old school stuff drew much more.

Yes, you should trip the breaker before you reach the limits of the other hardware (outlets, wiring, etc.).
Do a load calc. and you might find you're well within the limits of either.

The answer is always "it depends".

You're not going to burn your house down as long as you don't need coffee, brew beer, and make toast at the same time.

Biggest draw on anything is things that change temperature. Coffee makers, toasters, microwaves, air conditioners, furnaces, water heaters, refrigerators, freezers, etc.

Your nest cameras and your nerd stuff don't draw much compared to those.

Just remember anything that changes temperature are the big draws.

Closed my refinance this morning. Glad to have that done.

As soon as payoff occurs and its all in place, i am gonna tear them a new one on whatever survey/review they send me asking about my experience. I dont know if it was just my processor that was ultra incompetent, or all of em, but that was a hellish 7 month process.

Worth it for the interest rate though, the closing agent said she had never seen a rate so low on a 15 year before.