Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

200105111Resized20200104200234.jpg
There's a storm coming, so I figured I'd get the generator going, since the new house has a sump pump that has to be kept going, and the area we're in now is less sheltered from storms/wind/whatever.

Previous owner left the generator but took off with the generator cable. Generator has a L14-20R and house socket has a L14-30P so I couldn't just buy a premade cable, ended up shelling out $140 CAD for 20 feet of 10/3 NMDW and the two connectors at home depot. Most of that was the two NEMA connectors, which are a fucking ripoff at Home Depot.

Next up, lets fire up the generator! Aaaand it won't start. Generator was built in 2015, and it's got a full 6 gallon fill of gas that I'm assuming was thrown in there in 2015-2016 and smells like it, the generator's barely been run anyway because there's barely any soot in the exhaust. And as an extra fuck you, they left the fuel switch open so the carb was full of old gas too.

Hauled the fuel hose off the carb and started draining the thing, and drained the carb. Got my 10L fuel jug full, now I gotta go buy another fucking fuel jug just to hold this old gas until I dispose of it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
Mainers be like old fuel and used motor oil? Just toss it in the back 40.
I normally use up old gas by burning it in my car. But usually it's only a lawnmower worth, I've got more than half the tank capacity of the Fit to get rid of.

The Fit burns its oil capacity between oil changes, so lots of empty oil containers around to fill up and drop off at the store. NS rules say any place that sells new motor oil has to accept used motor oil so it's easy enough to dispose of.

Not near toilet and no mixer in shower. Mark's are directly under opposite side of bath to shower head and middle of bath.

Surface tension will allow water to cling to pipes and wood framing, and a leak will show up where the water decides to drip.

So it could still very well be the things I listed.

See if there's an access panel somewhere to get at the faucets/pipes for the tub from the back side. Might be in the back of a closet in the next room that shares that wall or something.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
See if there's an access panel somewhere to get at the faucets/pipes for the tub from the back side. Might be in the back of a closet in the next room that shares that wall or something.
Guy that built my house . . . never cut the panels. Just installed some trim that LOoks like a panel. Haven't had to cut one - wonder how he centered that trim. On the stud or only half overhanging(hopefully).

Fired 5L of the generator gas into ~30L of gas in the Fit and drove to work this morning, arrived with a CEL.

Guessing that gas was bad.

• Sad
I figured a small bit of it in a mostly full tank would be OK, apparently not...

At least I'm pretty sure now why the generator wouldn't run.

• Sad