Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Old alarm system had keypads in certain spots, they used 4 pair wire.

Any reason I can't use that wire to carry 5V to keep an iPad charged so I don't need a visible USB wall wort?

Nope, just respect the amperage for the wire gauge. You dont even need all 4 pairs, so id bond them into two larger carriers so you have more skin effect area.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Old alarm system had keypads in certain spots, they used 4 pair wire.

Any reason I can't use that wire to carry 5V to keep an iPad charged so I don't need a visible USB wall wort?
You'll probably have a significant voltage drop over the length of the cable.

I'd suggest running 12V instead, and burying a car charger in the wall.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and Valve1138
You'll probably have a significant voltage drop over the length of the cable.

I'd suggest running 12V instead, and burying a car charger in the wall.
dude, thats terrible advice. Dont bury things in walls. Even low voltage things.

Gee is right though, voltage drop is pretty terrible on 22ga, it depends what your 5v input could actually put out (or what the ipad actually expects)

Gee is right though, voltage drop is pretty terrible on 22ga, it depends what your 5v input could actually put out (or what the ipad actually expects)
Kind of depends on how far and how much voltage. At 5 v. for say 30 feet the drop will be negligible.
Agreed on not burying anything in a wall. Hang it from the basement ceiling if main floor, then run a wire a few feet to a box.

Kind of depends on how far and how much voltage. At 5 v. for say 30 feet the drop will be negligible.
Agreed on not burying anything in a wall. Hang it from the basement ceiling if main floor, then run a wire a few feet to a box.

40% vdrop aint negligible.

5 volts, 1 amp(1000ma), 30 feet, 22 AWG -19% drop. 12% at 20 ' Not like the average charger has no wire on it. ;)

depends on the amperage. i was assume 2. Looks like you assumed 1 or something slightly less.

Also, no more than 5% Vdroop is acceptable on DC. Electronics really dont like it.

depends on the amperage. i was assume 2. Looks like you assumed 1 or something slightly less.

Also, no more than 5% Vdroop is acceptable on DC. Electronics really dont like it.
I looked at the specs for an ipad charger. *An ipad charger only charges that battery to 3.7v. It actually will be quite fine.

If by barn door you mean something like these that's super neat.

52649240b3894fef1105673a6d40125e.jpgDIY-Dutch-Barn-Door-10.jpg

Couple we know in Corpus did that to their kitchen and turned out cool af. Neat look and great for keeping the place looking "open" while keeping dogs or small kids out of certain areas.

Cats of course easily defeat them, because they're cats.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
If I were to do that I would do something like the second pic but in place of pane windows put new chicken wire then mount pull-down shade of burlap or feed sack or something that said "farmer" as an optional visual barrier.