Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Just ordered an ESP32 dev board for a work project. Does both wifi and BLE, which is neat because BLE can be used to set up the wifi credentials with a cellphone app, and the wifi can be used to quickly offload bulk data.

@fly you're using NodeMCU, right?

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Tapconed the cleats into he block, They're nice and solid now.

Stuff moved out, swept, ready for vacuuming. Then epoxy paint. Then repeat on the other half.

Also put up another 4' LED shop light.

After epoxy, the white part up top gets one 3/4" plywood and new shelves/organizational stuff.

190103277IMG0366.jpg

Been doing some deep cleaning on the New Yankme Workshop (aka my garage)
Cleaned years of sawdust out of everything threw out tons of crap that I haven't used/looked at in years
Then took the time to build a router table onto the spot where a 3rd wing would install on my table saw, now the fence will work for the saw and the router, as well as the saw now being able to cut a 32" panel if needed. Next Ill probably build a proper cross-cut sled
Also @fly I was going to build one of the diy bucket dust collector, but I found one pre-made at home depot that pops onto my bucket and I have to say its pretty awesome
I need to go through my tool boxes next and what I have/need/can get rid of
Also, during the cleanup I found a dovetail jig and an old jointer that I cleaned up and now can make use of

Just ordered an ESP32 dev board for a work project. Does both wifi and BLE, which is neat because BLE can be used to set up the wifi credentials with a cellphone app, and the wifi can be used to quickly offload bulk data.

@fly you're using NodeMCU, right?
I still don't totally understand this stuff, but not for this project I don't think. Arduino.

My home security thing uses NodeMCU. That thing was awesome. As soon as it couldn't connect to wifi, it started advertising itself as an AP. Connected to it and updated wifi. :cool:

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
At some point I should come up with an electrical layout for the countertop.

I’m thinking double duplex on each end with 6’ plug mold strips across the top of the backsplash. That’ll be on one 20amp circuit by itself.

Other side gets its own 20amp and a new 240v for the induction burner.

I still don't totally understand this stuff, but not for this project I don't think. Arduino.

My home security thing uses NodeMCU. That thing was awesome. As soon as it couldn't connect to wifi, it started advertising itself as an AP. Connected to it and updated wifi. :cool:

That’s good to know when I brother-in-law proof my WiFi.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Preparing wide plank flooring for the 1 year olds room. Unfortunately this round was somewhat random widths. 13 inch, 11 inch, and 9 inch widths

I laid out the below pattern and would be interested in opinions on this layout vs others. I dont have hardly any spare planks at all, so what you see if what you get in terms of quantities (4 13s, 6 11s, 2 8s)

Thoughts?

Tni88SG.png

Attachments

• flooring pattern.png
    flooring pattern.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
Preparing wide plank flooring for the 1 year olds room. Unfortunately this round was somewhat random widths. 13 inch, 11 inch, and 9 inch widths

I laid out the below pattern and would be interested in opinions on this layout vs others. I dont have hardly any spare planks at all, so what you see if what you get in terms of quantities (4 13s, 6 11s, 2 8s)

Thoughts?

Tni88SG.png
Seems it would be rather nice like that - bravo! Obv you could switch the first 12 & 8 at front & back(opposing doorway), but I think the 8s as you have them will look less imposing and better balanced than the 12 at the doorway and back of room.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon

Thoughts?

Tni88SG.png
I can't see why it would matter, as long as it looks random. Am I missing something?

I can't see why it would matter, as long as it looks random. Am I missing something?
If you were over at right side the room(doorway to your right) it will look much more balanced if it has even size boards at each side. Board or tile flooring is usually laid from the center of the room, that way you never end up wit a little shit piece on one side and it looks balanced. Each side will have a piece half or more in size.
I get kind of :jvag: when I go in a bathroom and it is laid with a thin piece along one wall. Hacks!