Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Concrete block, not brick. Big difference.
Still, why offend such a fragile material with a Ramset - hard to put back what ye Ramset blows assunder. That's for people in a hurry who don't give a crap if they crack things up. Carbide drills are cheap these days. And seriously, anchors would hold something with the pivoting potential of a mantel(like when some puts stuff on it)better than those smooth nails. Ramsets are great for tacking down stud walls where the movement is perpendicular to the shaft/shank. Hopefully you treated yourself to the trigger type if you got one - much handier than the hammer-activated.
*This is not a critique of what you are doing, merely a suggestion with some thoughts behind it.

Still, why offend such a fragile material with a Ramset - hard to put back what ye Ramset blows assunder. That's for people in a hurry who don't give a crap if they crack things up. Carbide drills are cheap these days. And seriously, anchors would hold something with the pivoting potential of a mantel(like when some puts stuff on it) than those smooth nails. Ramsets are great for tacking down stud walls where the movement is perpendicular to the shaft/shank. Hopefully you treated yourself to the trigger type if you got one - much handier than the hammer-activated.
*This is not a critique of what you are doing, merely a suggestion with some thoughts behind it.
You've seen what he calls a "mantle", right? He could set that for good and all with some liquid nails.

There are already ramset pins in the current cleats, I'm going too add a couple more to each.

Previous owner put in three for each 8' 2x4, and half are loose.

There should be horizontal mortar joint behind each cleat. Should be.

If not I also have Tapcons.

I hate that shit.
Every application of it Ive come across is just a sloppy fuckin mess that comes apart in a month
I think of it as backup - drywall with nails or screw with LN backup. Stud wall nailed of screwed together, ditto. But yeah, sucks in many locations. Kind of funny-sad when it rips the wood off but the LN stays intact.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
There are already ramset pins in the current cleats, I'm going too add a couple more to each.

Previous owner put in three for each 8' 2x4, and half are loose.

There should be horizontal mortar joint behind each cleat. Should be.

If not I also have Tapcons.
Tapcons with a small pre-drill would stop the "loose" issue better than Ramset - and avoid it for the future. They are just so brutal on masonry products other than solid concrete. *Tapcon gets loose you can get a bigger one. Ramset gets loose that hole pretty much fucked.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and Domon