Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Those braces are fuckin' backwards. That gate is gonna sag in the middle inside of a week.

probably some Ana White bullshittery held together with pocket holes...
It's fine, actually. The brace is under compression instead of under strain, but it'll work. Main thing is the gate is turned into 2 triangles.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Turning in the keys on the old place today. Tried to do a walkthrough with these guys. "Too busy"
Ok, fine, so what do we do with the keys? "Leave them in the house and lock the door, please! :) "

Fucking idiots forgot we had to change the locks and they don't have the new keys.

Turning in the keys on the old place today. Tried to do a walkthrough with these guys. "Too busy"
Ok, fine, so what do we do with the keys? "Leave them in the house and lock the door, please! :) "

Fucking idiots forgot we had to change the locks and they don't have the new keys.
not your problem anymore.

In that pic, the leftmost post is able to be wiggled around. Definitely not strong enough (right now at least) to hold a gate.

How to rig rental properties 101.

Use the existing (weathered) pickets for the façade. Plant enough good engineered structural stuff behind it to make it work but no more.

Options....

2 solid, concreted in posts with gates that meet in the middle. Possibly done with wood diagonals across the back of the gates though they'll wear/loosen over time.

1 solid, concreted in post to hang the whole gate from. This may require a cable and turnbuckle system so you can adjust it from time to time as the gate sags. Also might require a fastener from top of support post to house.

Assuming standard 5-1/2" pickets, you have a 12' space. Standard, older, weathered fence pickets start to lose structural integrity when longer than a 3 or 4 foot gate without some sort of additional support.

I don't necessarily have to actually make a gate, y'know. Just something positively fastened that's easily removable.

Anyways, met my neighbor
Got home, see an older black guy next door outside. Wave, go over and introduce myself. "Hi, I'm Jim. Your dog was dumpin on my yard."
Oh no, I'm so sorry, must've done that when we were moving in. Let me get a shovel, I'll clean it up.
"Oh, its ok. They do that. Listen, you want some shelves? I gotta get rid of them."

So, I got more storage space

9522729d3b091c2dd966146664323033.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: gee and adi
Anyone know what type of bulb this is? Its 2 foot long (pictured is a 22" bulb,) which throws me off as the only ones I see at the local Home Depot that long have these little ass terminals (also pictured)

I'm hoping they aren't obsolete.

f69789bbcb61309f5ba8e7bee3d77086.jpg
c0a5187f6ddbfa9bc7bd9922d91c61d5.jpg

Anyone know what type of bulb this is? Its 2 foot long (pictured is a 22" bulb,) which throws me off as the only ones I see at the local Home Depot that long have these little ass terminals (also pictured)

I'm hoping they aren't obsolete.

f69789bbcb61309f5ba8e7bee3d77086.jpg
c0a5187f6ddbfa9bc7bd9922d91c61d5.jpg
We call these tube lights