Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

eh, my email runs on someone elses computer too, as does my calendar, as does pretty much everything.

itll suck in about 10 years when they take the servers down though. But thats why i bought all open standard devices, so i can just swap out the control at that point.

At this point in my life, i dont have the time to code everything myself, and smartthings developer community is great.

eh, my email runs on someone elses computer too, as does my calendar, as does pretty much everything.

itll suck in about 10 years when they take the servers down though. But thats why i bought all open standard devices, so i can just swap out the control at that point.

At this point in my life, i dont have the time to code everything myself, and smartthings developer community is great.
I don't code everything myself.

I just stick with local control. Sorta why I still run MythTV. It does everything I need, even though it hasn't changed since 1998 either.

man, i mean, i used to run all this shit too. But there are so much better modern things now. XBMC (fuckin "kodi", dumbest name ever) blew mythtv outta the water about 10 years back, and plex blew that outta the water 5 years back

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I'd rather go outside and do fun things than have to sit in front of a computer voluntarily to do shit.

That being said, yes, I use Homekit right now. But everything could be swapped to more standard stuff if I need too. Caseta and Insteon work fine without Homekit.

man, i mean, i used to run all this shit too. But there are so much better modern things now. XBMC (fuckin "kodi", dumbest name ever) blew mythtv outta the water about 10 years back, and plex blew that outta the water 5 years back
Yeah, so here's the thing: kodi still works and is under active development, but it DOESN'T DO PVR SHIT (and neither does plex). So, "blew out of the water" is incorrect.

My HTPC stack is Kodi, with the MythTV PVR plugin (which means that I use both).

Plex is fine, but it's definitely going down a different road than Kodi, in that Plex seems to be geared towards more Cloud shit, which isn't what I want.

So sure, I guess I'm stuck in the past, in that I want to keep shit on my computer, and not rely on a cloud to be working at some indeterminate date in the future, which doesn't necessarily imply that I'm "coding everything myself" or whatever you've implied.

At least we're both better than @Valve1138 with his AppleTV, amirite?

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Yeah, so here's the thing: kodi still works and is under active development, but it DOESN'T DO PVR SHIT (and neither does plex). So, "blew out of the water" is incorrect.

My HTPC stack is Kodi, with the MythTV PVR plugin (which means that I use both).

Plex is fine, but it's definitely going down a different road than Kodi, in that Plex seems to be geared towards more Cloud shit, which isn't what I want.

So sure, I guess I'm stuck in the past, in that I want to keep shit on my computer, and not rely on a cloud to be working at some indeterminate date in the future, which doesn't necessarily imply that I'm "coding everything myself" or whatever you've implied.

While Cloud is a (shitty) feature with Plex, it's certainly not their focus. Their focus is easy consumption of media on ANY device.

yes we are.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I never open the app to control the lights. Are you confused as to how all of this works?
I have smart nothing in my house, and no experience using other people's smart-house stuff. Well, other than a shitty Bluetooth RGB light bulb a friend of mine bought, which worked exactly as I described until it burnt out like a month later.

So I'm ignorant, not confused :)

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Speaking of Kodi, I tried running it on my HTPC.

The mouse cursor laaaags. Like, updates at 2Hz, making it impossible to use. This is in a quad-core Phenom X955 with a Radeon 7000 series video card, running Windows 10.

Got fed up with it, went back to the Win10 desktop.

Speaking of Kodi, I tried running it on my HTPC.

The mouse cursor laaaags. Like, updates at 2Hz, making it impossible to use. This is in a quad-core Phenom X955 with a Radeon 7000 series video card, running Windows 10.

Got fed up with it, went back to the Win10 desktop.

it does it own software cursor bullshit rather than using the windows cursor.