Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

yeah, just dont want anything bulky i guess. I suppose i could get one of those china amp/bluetooth boards

I was thinking more along the lines of a cs800, I mean, you don't really need all that cabinet space anyway, right?

13207034_1.png

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138 and nukes
5%-. It depends on what you want to do. Listening to something different in the kitchen than is being played elsewhere obviously needs a different source. Otherwise ya, tons of little circuit board amps you could hide somewhere. Doesn't have to be powerful. Vast majority of real volume increase happens in the first 10 watts.

Those are cool, but I think he just wants to have a little ambient music going in the kitchen. Chinese smps/classD circuit board in something the size of, IDK, say 4 cigarette packs. Could hid up under a cupboard or something.

Yep, this sounds about right.

Yep, this sounds about right.

Are they home theater or stereo type speakers mounted to the ceiling or are they "ceiling speakers" like you see mounted in an office ceiling?

The office ceiling ones sometimes have weird impedances and are run off a 70 Volt system, chaining a bunch of them together to pipe muzak through an office floor or retail store or whatever.

There's likely an inexpensive Chinese chip amp solution for that too, just verify/Google what you have for speakers and get an amp to match.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Are they home theater or stereo type speakers mounted to the ceiling or are they "ceiling speakers" like you see mounted in an office ceiling?

The office ceiling ones sometimes have weird impedances and are run off a 70 Volt system, chaining a bunch of them together to pipe muzak through an office floor or retail store or whatever.

There's likely an inexpensive Chinese chip amp solution for that too, just verify/Google what you have for speakers and get an amp to match.

proper ht speakers. These ones

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-M-8C-C...id=1484953390&sr=1-6&keywords=ceiling+speaker

Also pet peeve #1-

Page of flowery language and instructions how to easily spend your money but no real data sheet PDF for the speaker. Limited details and even something as basic as nominal impedance or freq. response not listed. You have to sort through the product photos, find a rear view, blow it up, put your glasses on, and read the actual label on the back of the speaker to even see if it's compatible with that amp. And you still have no idea of actual response, clean bass capabilities or anything.

GRRRR!!.......

It'll work fine though and probably sound pretty decent, at least at lower volumes in a kitchen.

• Gravy
@Domon, I prefer to buy little class D's from partsexpress (or straight offa @gee), because they typically have a PDF explaining their watt ratings and stuff.

Parts express is where it's at.

Likely cheaper solutions but data needed to know if they're actually solutions or fancy paperweights is lacking.

I assumed the thing in his link was typical 120V mains. A lot of those things are power supply and amp(s) all on one board. At least the ICE modules and stuff they use in bass amps are.

Parts express is where it's at.

Likely cheaper solutions but data needed to know if they're actually solutions or fancy paperweights is lacking.

I assumed the thing in his link was typical 120V mains. A lot of those things are power supply and amp(s) all on one board. At least the ICE modules and stuff they use in bass amps are.
All the class D amps commonly available run on 12-24VDC.

All the class D amps commonly available run on 12-24VDC.

Does that thing have a built in power supply to get that though?

Bass amps use modules like that to get 500-900 watt output on 8 to 4 ohm nominal speaker loads. They're not like a car amp drawing off 12 volts to make power into a 1 or 2 ohm speaker (for short bursts).

• Gravy