Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

If you're shorting because there's water in the conduit, you need to run the right fukn' wire.

Seriously, this is a fire hazard. Conduits are wet locations by default, so you have to have THHN pulled through.
I wasn't expecting "The sky is falling" post from you. Neat. From the electricians I've spoken to, there is likely a nick in the wire somewhere. Probably got caught somewhere on the conduit when they were pulling it.

I wasn't expecting "The sky is falling" post from you. Neat. From the electricians I've spoken to, there is likely a nick in the wire somewhere. Probably got caught somewhere on the conduit when they were pulling it.
That's bad. There's a nick in the wire, and it's being exposed to water.

Know what happens when you expose 120V to water? electrolysis. There's gonna be oxygen/hydrogen gas generated around that nick in the wire, and it'll corrode the wire where that nick is. At some point the wire's gonna corrode to the point where it overheats - if you're lucky it'll just burn out and your tub will shut off or stop heating or whatever happens if you drop a phase... or more likely it'll get hot, burn the insulation off the neighboring wires and cause a full-on electrical fire in the conduit.

Get that shit fixed ASAP.

That's bad. There's a nick in the wire, and it's being exposed to water.

Know what happens when you expose 120V to water? electrolysis. There's gonna be oxygen/hydrogen gas generated around that nick in the wire, and it'll corrode the wire where that nick is. At some point the wire's gonna corrode to the point where it overheats - if you're lucky it'll just burn out and your tub will shut off or stop heating or whatever happens if you drop a phase... or more likely it'll get hot, burn the insulation off the neighboring wires and cause a full-on electrical fire in the conduit.

Get that shit fixed ASAP.
Sucks that neither of the breakers would detect that and trip.

Sucks that neither of the breakers would detect that and trip.
To cause a trip, you'd either need a sufficiently high fault current (which isn't guaranteed) to exceed the breaker's trip current, or a sufficiently high phase-to-ground current to trip the GFCI.

The second is probably what'll save ya.

To cause a trip, you'd either need a sufficiently high fault current (which isn't guaranteed) to exceed the breaker's trip current, or a sufficiently high phase-to-ground current to trip the GFCI.

The second is probably what'll save ya.
Good. It happens like once a year. I'll get to it. Until then it will be fine.

Plus if you burn the fuck out of the conduit, you gotta dig it up and replace it. Much easier to replace the wire now and solve the water intrusion issue than to deal with that bullshit.

Yep, and I'll get to it.

Wanna come to Florida? :D
mAXLjWp.jpg

Yeah, good thing the breaker caught this one...

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Ive got a random set of ceiling speakers in the kitchen that are just raw wire down through a wall cavity right now. Wires arent long enough to run over to the AV rack, how would ya'll power them?

Ive got a random set of ceiling speakers in the kitchen that are just raw wire down through a wall cavity right now. Wires arent long enough to run over to the AV rack, how would ya'll power them?

They're passive speakers, need an amplifier, right?

Obvs. put an amp in the kitchen.