The GH2 Thread

Bah... you kids and your dance-dance-revolution, and your guitar hero, and your derivative sequels, and your heavily marketed mobile phones, and your trendy microbreweries, and your pants halfway off your asses, and your third-party-supplier game controllers, and your heavily licensed playlists, and your v-tec engines, and your vibrating pagers, and your repetitive techno music, and your mind altering pills, and your colourful baggy clothes, and your faith in the system, and your drift racing, and your frosted tips, and your upsetting piercings, and your inability to navigate, and your reading solely for test passing, and your constant need for distraction, and your alleged media savvy, and your I don't even know what... I've been ranting so fucking long I've completely forgotten my point!

I was interested but I expected a lot more songs ... I know I'm spoiled by DDR but it just doesn't look worth the money, my experience suggests I won't like 9/10 of the songs that doesn't leave much game.

So far it's fucking great! Ripped through the first 5 or so groups of songs on Medium last night. One of the things I love is how when you are playing through, it only shows you 4 of the 5 songs in the grouping, and then when you complete the 3rd one, the camera pulls back over thw crowd as the lights go down, and everyone starts chanting "ENCORE! ENCORE!" Then a screen comes up that says, "They're really cheering for you out there, do you have enough to give 'em one more?" and you can choose to perform the 5th "hidden" song as an encore.

The camera swoops over the cheering audience, who start cheering even louder as the lights come back up and you take your place out on stage again to rock them with one last song! Best one so far was on level 3 when you came back out and ripped into Sweet child o' Mine. I think I cranked my stereo up to 11 for that one.

there is so much more attention to detail in this version, it makes me wish I didn't have to keep my eyes glued to the streaming fretboard the whole time. So far, after about 25 songs, there's a couple I could do without, and probably won't play again unless I have to, but most of them are pretty damn good. Playing the Rage song Killing in the Name Of was great, until the guy doing Zac's voiceover started singing. RO has done a great job with the first game and for the most part in this one with getting the vocals to sounds pretty damn similar to the originals, but holy shit does this guy suck. Wish there was a way to mute the vocals and just rip to Morello's badass guitar.

I like the addition of more characters to select. You can also buy new outfits for them too, which is pretty slick. And I'm not sure if I like the new Grim Reaper design better than the old one. Tons of additional songs to unlock, some videos, and guitar skins, but the major improvement to the bonus items is the unlockable guitars. Each difficulty level has 2 guitars to unlock. One you can buy after beating the game on each setting, and the other you can buy after beating the difficulty setting with 5 stars on every song. I can't imagine ever obtaining the Expert 5 star guitar, but I bet it looks cool.

The new hammer-on and pull-off system works much much much better now, and makes getting though some of the fast fingerwork sections a bit easier. Not alot, but it's a bit more relaxed when it comes to how quickly you have to hammer-on or pull off another button to link the notes, which is most notably helpful when you are trying to perform hammer-ons with your pinky.

Can't comment on the multiplayer portion yet, guess that'll have to wait till next weekend when Theac and I can shred together.

Oh, and Sabbath's "War Pigs" encore in the second level is a fucking loooooooooooooong song.

I was interested but I expected a lot more songs ... I know I'm spoiled by DDR but it just doesn't look worth the money, my experience suggests I won't like 9/10 of the songs that doesn't leave much game.
Dude, there are 40 tracks in career mode and something like 14 more that are unlockable. Any more and your fingers would probably fall off. As far as liking or not liking songs ... I find that even songs that I don't really care for tend to be a lot of fun to play. I think the only song that was really an all out snooze fest was Danzig - Mother.
is there really a metalocalypse bonus track?
Yes.

Figures that you would notice the outfits thing. You are such a Japanese schoolgirl sometimes.

I bought Pandora's "Feathers" outfit first *glee*

Actually, the first thing I unlocked was TROGDOR!

Did you see the outlines of the unlockable guitars? Some of those looks pretty sweet.

What did you think the first time you got an encore request?

Yea, the version of Mother in GH2 doesn't seem to have the same punch that the original version has.

Can't wait to try Jessica when I get home tonight.

Last edited:
Dude, there are 40 tracks in career mode and something like 14 more that are unlockable. Any more and your fingers would probably fall off. As far as liking or not liking songs ... I find that even songs that I don't really care for tend to be a lot of fun to play. I think the only song that was really an all out snooze fest was Danzig - Mother.

No, not impressed. I'd expect to be able to take songs from my CDs/MP3s and get some kind of tabbing file to put it in the game, really. Barring that, 40 is not nearly a good enough substitute. Especially not when I'd have to buy the guitar too.