Ontopic The EPA has poisoned a river in Colorado

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/09/us/colorado-epa-mine-river-spill/

150810103359-01-colorado-river-spill-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

150807151528-yellow-river-ian-lucier-1-exlarge-169.jpeg

Why couldn't they do this to the rivers in California? Then we could say, welp, looks like your stupid fucking fish are dead now so there's no reason to allot a certain amount of water into the rivers to keep those fucking fish alive. Send it to the people who need it instead.

Why couldn't they do this to the rivers in California? Then we could say, welp, looks like your stupid fucking fish are dead now so there's no reason to allot a certain amount of water into the rivers to keep those fucking fish alive. Send it to the people who need it instead.

Wouldn't people be drinking orange water then?

No. Those rivers aren't used as a source of potable water. The water in those rivers is protected. The water would be re-allocated before it even reaches those rivers.

So then I guess I'm confused on how taking it from the fish to give to people makes practical sense?

They will tell you they were trying to be helpful. I think I speak for our well intentioned government officials when I say that we all should just be enamored with that and ignore real world consequences. They'll try to be more helpful next time, and the time after that.

Bothers me that the EPA is responsible for cleaning this shit up, not the mine that created all that waste.
As I understand it, the mines in the area haven't been active in some time, and the EPA has been running the cleanup under the table to avoid listing the area as a Superfund site.

As I understand it, the mines in the area haven't been active in some time, and the EPA has been running the cleanup under the table to avoid listing the area as a Superfund site.

As I understand how you understand it: that's quite stupid.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum