Print this story Comment on this story
Email Newsletters Purchase reprints
Social Bookmarking
Buzz up!
ShareThis
ADVERTISEMENT
Loading Video...

Cash is tight. The bills are piling up.

What's more important: keeping current with the mortgage or making those monthly credit card payments?

Increasingly, based on a new study from credit tracker Trans Union, credit cards are trumping the mortgage.

"Conventional wisdom has always been that, when faced with a financial crisis, consumers will pay their secured obligations first, specifically their mortgages," said Sean Reardon, author of the study and a Trans Union consultant. "However … increasingly, more consumers are paying their credit cards before making mortgage payments."

It's a stark example of how the longest and deepest economic downturn since World War II has reshaped financial priorities for American consumers. The radical change in priorities — what TransUnion calls a "payment hierarchy shift" — is particularly pronounced in Florida.

The percentage of Floridians in the study who were delinquent on their mortgages but current on their credit cards rose from 5.1 percent in the fall of 2007 to 12.4 percent in the fall of 2009, a 143 percent increase. By comparison, the U.S. ratio rose from 4 percent to 6.6 percent, a 68 percent increase.

Reardon said no other state has as high of a "pay the credit card first" rate as Florida. (California is second at 10.2 percent).

Property owners who have lost the equity in their homes because of the housing slump are more willing to walk away or risk foreclosure. At the same time, more consumers have turned to credit cards as a lifeline to make everyday purchases — putting gas in the car to get to work, buying groceries, even paying utility bills.

That's especially true in states like Florida, where unemployment hovers near 12 percent.

"It used to be: 'Pay the mortgage first to build equity. This is my largest investment.' And the credit card was more of a supplement, a luxury," Reardon said.

Now, some of the stigma on foreclosures has diminished, and lenders are being pressed to help people keep their homes and work through their debt. It can take 18 months or longer for foreclosures to work through the Florida system, buying some homeowners many payment-free months before losing their home.

Conversely, credit card companies have been reducing card limits, raising rates and being stingier on floating new offers.

"It's become much more important to keep those (credit card) company relationships healthy because credit is harder and harder to come by," Reardon added.

The flip in financial patterns first occurred in the beginning of 2008. Just barely. Trans Union researchers at the time envisioned it as short-term phenomenon triggered by the subprime housing bust. They didn't envision the gap would not only widen, but widen dramatically.

TransUnion based its study on consumers who had at least one credit card and one mortgage and examined 30-day delinquency data. As one of the country's chief sources of credit ratings, the company could draw from its historical database of 27 million consumer records to analyze debt patterns.

Bill Hardekopf, CEO of LowCards.com and co-author of The Credit Card Guidebook, was surprised at the study's results.

"It seems so counterintuitive," he said. "Most financial advisers would tell people to pay (your mortgage) to keep a roof over your head. Not unsecured debt (like credit cards)."

Yet, he has no doubt more people are relying on credit for basic necessities.

"What's scary to card issuers is that the default rates and delinquency rates are still going up," Hardekopf said.

And as more consumers fall delinquent on credit cards they are already using as a last resort, they will be even harder pressed to pay everyday bills when credit lifelines are cut off.

Well this economic "crisis" has affected me directly; I got laid off. The only job I could secure in a 5 month job search was one in Texas (within the same company mind you). My condo value dropped over 25% in the 2.5 years I have owned it so to keep a job, I have to pick up the tab on the difference (whenever I can get the condo sold that is).

My father is a general contract builder/finishing carpenter that has seen his business drop so much he is considering early retirement so he can tap his 401k to pay his bills.

Well this economic "crisis" has affected me directly; I got laid off. The only job I could secure in a 5 month job search was one in Texas (within the same company mind you). My condo value dropped over 25% in the 2.5 years I have owned it so to keep a job, I have to pick up the tab on the difference (whenever I can get the condo sold that is).

My father is a general contract builder/finishing carpenter that has seen his business drop so much he is considering early retirement so he can tap his 401k to pay his bills.
I only scoff at the people who complain, yet were unaffected :fly:

I wasn't being serious. While Kyle and I are doing fine, unfortunately we are also watching family members and friends really struggle.

an awesome house that is perfect for me and exactly in my price range and preferred neighborhood went on the market last week. six months ago i would have put in a full price offer the same day, but last week my boss had to borrow money to make payroll. things are too sketchy to buy a house. which is a fucking pain in the ass because the place is perfect and massively underpriced.

an awesome house that is perfect for me and exactly in my price range and preferred neighborhood went on the market last week. six months ago i would have put in a full price offer the same day, but last week my boss had to borrow money to make payroll. things are too sketchy to buy a house. which is a fucking pain in the ass because the place is perfect and massively underpriced.

Thats a tough spot to be in. Risky moves sometimes pay off well, though.

Never a better time to buy than right now. However, never a scarier time to buy than right now too.

I work for the Australian government as most of you know. Some of you however may not know that Australia's economy has done pretty well during these recent harsh economic times. That said, I have seen massive reductions in our budget.

Maybe it's just because our government has this cool magic trick where they can make a ton of money simply vanish, like they did with our $18 billion surplus.

:case:

Americans following Obama:

A teacher asked her 6th grade class how many of them were Obama fans.

Not really knowing what an Obama fan is, but wanting to be liked by the teacher, all the kids raised their hands except for Little Johnny .

The teacher asked Little Johnny why he has decided to be different..... again.

Little Johnny said, "Because I'm not an Obama fan."

The teacher asked, "Why aren't you a fan of Obama?" Johnny said, "Because I'm a Republican."

The teacher asked him why he's a Republican. Little Johnny answered, "Well, my Mom's a Republican and my Dad's a Republican, so I'm a Republican."

Annoyed by this answer, the teacher asked, "If your mom was a moron and your dad was an idiot, what would that make you?"

With a big smile, Little Johnny replied, "That would make me an Obama fan."

I'd be totally interested in finding out why he isn't an Obama fan. Generally, people don't seem to know or just spew a couple buzz words. It's slightly funny to watch.