Techie Tard

Shalimar

Like herpes - just appears
Feb 5, 2007
St Pete
www.minglemixx.com
Marklar
₥0
sorry for an entire thread, feel free to answer and let the focker drop to the bottom, but I'm in a squeeze and can't afford the time to let people POSSIBLY come to the junk drawer and see it.

hard drive won't power up. It says "WD" on the side.. it's about 8x6x2 inches. you guys probably all have 10.

just got a quote for the lacie "rugged" 500gb for 129. that a good deal?

but how and where can I see if there's something wrong with the current HD? I at the very least need to try and get the shyt off of it. some of that music is irreplaceable for a variety of reasons. i was told they could still recover the data.. true?

so really, if this thing can't get powered back up, what do I do?

You can buy a 1 TB WD external drive for the exact same price nowadays. Internal ones are even cheaper. If the hard drive doesn't spin at all (you need quiet to hear this), then you won't be able to recover the data on your own.

You can buy a 1 TB WD external drive for the exact same price nowadays. Internal ones are even cheaper. If the hard drive doesn't spin at all (you need quiet to hear this), then you won't be able to recover the data on your own.

yeah, it doesn't light up, doesn't make any noise at all.

i tried a different power adapter, and a different usb cord.. nothing.

fak.

but the WD is the one that's acting up now. :-(

and I was VERY worried about this.. the last two years i've burned premixed CD's (that I mixed btw) and played them at gators. well, in the interest of stepping it up, as well as having more access to more music I'm bringing my whole rig out there. puter, cdj's, mixer, HD.

i'm sure the sand and salt air are not good for them.. is there anything I can do?? besides save for new equipment.

it's an external, so the issue might very well be the enclosure it's in, and not the drive at all.

Like was mentioned before, have a friend take the drive out of the enclosure, and try putting it into a PC or something and read it from there.

Was the thing making any noise or anything before the crash?

I'm full booked this weekend, but come monday, if you haven't figured anything out, we'll talk.

true. but i know the lacie's (the ones i've seen) don't have vents or anything that sand/salt air can get into like the WD.

No, but you do want some kind of venting for cooling.

IIRC, the WD's do have a carrying case you can buy on the side for porting them around when you don't have then plugged in and active.

Freezing the hard drive then install in another computer?

Then ALWAYS run a back up. Keep your stuff in two+ places at all times. :)

:waw:

what a f'ing hassle. long story short..

had a techie buddy take out the drive thingie itself I guess. he plugged it in to his stuff and said the little plate thingy (circuit board?) got insanely hot.. so he could NOT get the info off of it.

took it to Best Buy.. 299 for them to look at it there. after describing the problem i was told it's 500 for them to send it off and it may be a month or two before they can get it back. :waw: I plan on running it by a data recovery spot after work today. :waw:

ON TOP OF THAT, I got a loaner lacie HD and had DJ Rose load me up some music for me to get through yesterday's gig.. Serato crashed on me half a dozen times DURING the song. :waw: thank god I bring the CD player and could hit play real quick, but it wasn't good for the vibe. :waw:

I don't know if it crashed (NEVER happened before) because I've got a diff HD hooked up to it or if it's just f*cked. :waw:

got two lacie rugged HD's 500 gigathingies ordered. 129 a piece. should be here midweek.

but that ain't helpin me right now. . . :waw: