Halp Tardwheel Political Circle Jerkoff 2017

Tardwheel

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I think politicians don't understand is that people often just get pissed off at all the commercials and blathering they do. Waste of money
While this is true the unfortunate side effect is that those commercials absolutely influence the people who actually show up to the polls.

That's why they spend so much money on campaigns, because they have decades of hard evidence showing that air time on TV is one of the most crucial things that can swing an election.

Those of us getting pissed off by a political ad are more likely to be the high information voters that vote based on our own research but the bulk of the electorate votes based on what they see on TV (and now, social media).

The whole thing is fucked :( but apparently publicly funded campaigns are anti-American for some reason

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
So what? @King Wickie is right. Dems need to find a real platform other than, "Let's wait for Trump to fuck up enough." It's fucking stupid.
I hate how cable news has hyped all of these special elections this year too. "This is a referendum of the Trump administration!!!!" And they drag anyone they can find to come on the air to say this special election is going to show how pissed off the country is at Trump. Then the Republican wins (like they normally would in a Republican district regardless of who the president is) and the next day the story is forgotten. Stupid hype for ratings.

ossoff had a reasonable platform but the party as a whole is disjointed and won't get shit in 2018 that way
Maybe he did, but based on the news coverage I'm sure every TV ad was about Trump being shit and that Republicans are *actually* the ones that don't reflect the voter. If the Democrats want to win, they just need to pretend Trump doesn't exist, stop being shocked at everything he does, and run a real fucking campaign.

Maybe he did, but based on the news coverage I'm sure every TV ad was about Trump being shit and that Republicans are *actually* the ones that don't reflect the voter. If the Democrats want to win, they just need to pretend Trump doesn't exist, stop being shocked at everything he does, and run a real fucking campaign.

The notion of "we'll fix the shit he's done so far" is a valid part of the message it can only be one part of a much larger one. The party is holding back the candidates.

It's valid, but clearly fruitless. I mean, Hillary's campaign of "Look what he *could* do" was stupid and a failure. I don't expect any of that to change.

I think it's fruitless because they're not expanding beyond it. Undoing the Trump administration will just bring us back to where we were before the election. They need to push ideas of universal health care, justice system reform, and the wealth gap.

While Hillary's campaign focused way too much on that "look what he could do" part the campaign was still more complex and involved than that. She actually had written policies available for people to read and comment on. She talked about them in her speeches and interviews.

But once the GOP picked their nominee she figured they had gotten their message across to the voters and only needed to call out the bull in the china shop. She thought voters were smart enough to do their research and realize that literally nothing that been presented by her opponent in terms of policy to argue again. She was wrong.

The democratic party's failing is partly in thinking that all you have to do is present facts about problems and potential solutions to them. That kind of thing does not work on the average "everyday people" that go to the polls. People vote on their feelings, most don't care about policy or at least don't know any specifics. The politician that can make the voter feel either more hopeful of them or more afraid of the opponent has the advantage.

What's the solution? Fight dirty? Appeal to the ignorance of the masses like the people who believed in obamacare death panels? The party platform is clear, the voters are having trouble deciding how far left to be and the party is failing to find any leadership capable of taking a stand one way or the other. It's disjointed just like the GOP was in 2009/10 but in this case the latte party hasn't found a concise message.

I dunno man, but it ain't simple. And people like simple. "Fuck Donald Trump" is simple. It sucks.

I think it's fruitless because they're not expanding beyond it. Undoing the Trump administration will just bring us back to where we were before the election. They need to push ideas of universal health care, justice system reform, and the wealth gap.

While Hillary's campaign focused way too much on that "look what he could do" part the campaign was still more complex and involved than that. She actually had written policies available for people to read and comment on. She talked about them in her speeches and interviews.

But once the GOP picked their nominee she figured they had gotten their message across to the voters and only needed to call out the bull in the china shop. She thought voters were smart enough to do their research and realize that literally nothing that been presented by her opponent in terms of policy to argue again. She was wrong.

The democratic party's failing is partly in thinking that all you have to do is present facts about problems and potential solutions to them. That kind of thing does not work on the average "everyday people" that go to the polls. People vote on their feelings, most don't care about policy or at least don't know any specifics. The politician that can make the voter feel either more hopeful of them or more afraid of the opponent has the advantage.

What's the solution? Fight dirty? Appeal to the ignorance of the masses like the people who believed in obamacare death panels? The party platform is clear, the voters are having trouble deciding how far left to be and the party is failing to find any leadership capable of taking a stand one way or the other. It's disjointed just like the GOP was in 2009/10 but in this case the latte party hasn't found a concise message.

I dunno man, but it ain't simple. And people like simple. "Fuck Donald Trump" is simple. It sucks.
Nate Silver had some great articles before the election on how the Primary process is broken and that's how we keep getting these shitty, far winged candidates. It boils down to a couple really important things:

1) Gerrymandering
2) Only zealots vote during the Primary season

States are slowly fixing the gerrymandering issue, but I'm not sure what the fuck we can do to get people out during the Primaries. Hell, I know that I'm guilty as fuck, since I don't think I've EVER voted in a Primary.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
Nate Silver had some great articles before the election on how the Primary process is broken and that's how we keep getting these shitty, far winged candidates. It boils down to a couple really important things:

1) Gerrymandering
2) Only zealots vote during the Primary season

States are slowly fixing the gerrymandering issue, but I'm not sure what the fuck we can do to get people out during the Primaries. Hell, I know that I'm guilty as fuck, since I don't think I've EVER voted in a Primary.
Changing the rules so independents could vote for either party in the primaries would have let me vote in them.
Fucking stupid that I couldn't cause I chose not to go with R or D 15 years ago.

Changing the rules so independents could vote for either party in the primaries would have let me vote in them.
Fucking stupid that I couldn't cause I chose not to go with R or D 15 years ago.

Some states have open primaries and the fear is that, for example, lifelong democrats will vote in republican primaries for the worst candidate. Which, to be fair, does happen but I don't know if it's at a rate worth worrying about.

Also you know you're not locked into a party you chose fifteen years ago, right? You can always change your party affiliation within the time limits allowed by the state.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Also you know you're not locked into a party you chose fifteen years ago, right? You can always change your party affiliation within the time limits allowed by the state.

Oh I know, but generally I don't give a shit about primaries. When the odd one comes up that I do I generally forget to change my registration in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.