Supreme Court extends federal benefits to married gay couples

971298_608782495807904_1361502660_n.jpg

<flame on>

I think it's ridiculous to tell everyone they have to get married all over again if they move.

But moving or getting married again is their choice. Let's say that my common law wife and I were deciding if we wanted to move out of Alabama, Colorado, Kansas, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Utah, or Texas. It's ultimately our choice, even though no one else would recognize our marriage. In my mind, the best answer is for the people to force states to recognize gay marriage. If you can, move out of states that ban it. Don't do business in those states. Continue to get laws put on ballots. There are tons of other ways to get what we want without the government forcing states to do it.

And honestly, its going to happen anyway.

If we are not going to force states to recognize marriages in other states, wouldn't that include all marriages? States could start to think this is a good cash grab. Maybe states will start to think they won't recognize other state's man/woman marriages too thus forcing everyone who is married to get married again every time they move. I bet that would piss off a lot of military folk.

If we are not going to force states to recognize marriages in other states, wouldn't that include all marriages? States could start to think this is a good cash grab. Maybe states will start to think they won't recognize other state's man/woman marriages too thus forcing everyone who is married to get married again every time they move. I bet that would piss off a lot of military folk.

They aren't forced now! I just gave an example of heterosexual marriages that aren't recognized in some states. And the country isn't crumbling down because of it...

They aren't forced now! I just gave an example of heterosexual marriages that aren't recognized in some states. And the country isn't crumbling down because of it...

But you didn't answer any of my previous questions about what you think should happen with certain circumstances. Not recognizing marriages in some states but not others causes issues. No, the country isn't crumbling, but it does cause problems. Ask a lawyer who works for SSA how they feel about the whole business. It's confusing and things happen like children wind up in limbo. People aren't able to collect benefits they may need. It's things like this that make the clause in the constitution necessary.

But you didn't answer any of my previous questions about what you think should happen with certain circumstances. Not recognizing marriages in some states but not others causes issues. No, the country isn't crumbling, but it does cause problems. Ask a lawyer who works for SSA how they feel about the whole business. It's confusing and things happen like children wind up in limbo. People aren't able to collect benefits they may need. It's things like this that make the clause in the constitution necessary.

I said what I thought. If you move to a state where your marriage isn't recognized, guess what? You decided to move to a state where your marriage isn't recognized. The repeal of DOMA says that you'll still receive all entitlements from the Federal government, but none from your new home state. Do we need a constitutional amendment to say that all 50 states must recognize common law marriages? Of course not.

I've read that dusty old document, oh, once or twice I guess, and I don't recall anything about marriage in there.

But I am dumb, so who knows.

State or federal government should have no business in marriage, for the purposes of benefits, child custody, whatever, it should work like life insurance.

Let's say there's not even a married couple, but two brothers living together, if one passes the survivor should be entitled to whatever benefits a spouse would.

Even for sinful couples like flapril :fly:

Of course. It's stupid to fight over a word. Even more importantly, the constitution strictly states all men are created equal. Race, color, creed, doesn't matter. Any attempts to change it for special interests are unconstitutional.

Initially, I had a problem with it. Briefly. Then I looked at the issue from a different perspective, one based on the constitution, and realized any ingrained bias I had from growing up didn't hold water.

I know you like to color me a homophobe, but that just isn't the case.

you mean the declaration? :fly:

#domonating