Supreme Court extends federal benefits to married gay couples

I said what I thought. If you move to a state where your marriage isn't recognized, guess what? You decided to move to a state where your marriage isn't recognized. The repeal of DOMA says that you'll still receive all entitlements from the Federal government, but none from your new home state. Do we need a constitutional amendment to say that all 50 states must recognize common law marriages? Of course not.

I said nothing about a constitutional amendment. I was asking what you thought about this. Also, there are programs that are both federally and state funded together. So what happens with those?

I'm saying it's specifically banned by DOMA in this case. But as for on a regular basis, it's kind of a gray area. There's a clause in the Constitution about this because the writers could foresee problems associated with each state having its own laws. It's called the Full Faith and Credit Clause. It talks about how states can and sometimes must recognize the laws of other states. There's a lot of debate about how this relates to marriage and divorce and a lot of other issues. For example, can a father or mother move to another state to avoid paying child support required? If I am a gay man and I adopt a child in Maryland and I then move to Virginia, is that not my child anymore?

I said nothing about a constitutional amendment. I was asking what you thought about this. Also, there are programs that are both federally and state funded together. So what happens with those?

If you're simply asking my opinion and I get to make the rules... Whoever funds it to a greater percentage seems fair.

Child support exists between hetro people that aren't even married. Why would that change?

Because individual states have individual child support laws. If the parents live in two different states, then there's a question as to which state's child support laws can be used. Now lets assume a gay couple adopts a child in Maryland. Virginia does not allow gay couples to adopt children. What happens if one parent decides to move to Virginia and shirk his/her responsibility?

Because individual states have individual child support laws. If the parents live in two different states, then there's a question as to which state's child support laws can be used. Now lets assume a gay couple adopts a child in Maryland. Virginia does not allow gay couples to adopt children. What happens if one parent decides to move to Virginia and shirk his/her responsibility?

damn

that's a really good question. are there any federal laws that govern child support issues or is that solely the purview of the states?

damn

that's a really good question. are there any federal laws that govern child support issues or is that solely the purview of the states?

No. That's what I'm saying. There's this random, vague clause in the constitution that talks about it, but it's too vague to do any good. So a federal law saying states can ignore each other's laws on this issue makes it even more confusing and difficult.

Seems easiest to me to base on the state where the child lives. None of this stuff seems that hard to me. :iono: