Pics Summer activities thread

Have fun. The races are a lot more fun in person than on the idiot box. :heart:

I loved the race in Sonoma last month !
We are planning on going to Daytona next year. Go big or go home.

I really want to expose him to all these amazing things. I just wish I knew more about racing and hockey and soccer and all those boys stuff, But hey at least I'm trying and were going to have fun.

I really want to expose him to all these amazing things. I just wish I knew more about racing and hockey and soccer and all those boys stuff, But hey at least I'm trying and were going to have fun.

I'm not a fan of Daytona or Talladega aka plate tracks.

:iono: what that means! Lolololol :fly:
But as long as my little guy has fun!

A restrictor plate aka air restictor is added to the air intake of the engine to limit the horse power it can produce. Both Daytona and Talladega are known as super-speedways (2.5 miles long, long flat straightaways, high banking in the turns (31 for Daytona 33 for Talladega)). This allows the driver to run wide-open. Speeds kept getting faster until Bill Elliot qualified for a race at Talladega, over 212mph and track speed went up to 215+mph. Bobby Allison had a blown tire during the race causing a bad accident. Back in 2004 as a test, Rusty Wallace drove a car with out a restrictor plate at Talladega with a top speed of 228 mph and a one-lap average of 221 mph.

While the restrictor plate does keep the speed of the cars down to ~200mph. It also causes them to race in one big pack for the most part. Which leads to the "Big One" so far as accidents are concerned. This is my biggest problem with restrictor plate racing. Unfortunately the "Big One" translates to ratings because of human nature in most people. Since NASCAR is owned by the France family and they own some of the racing tracks including Daytona and Talladega under a different corporation. It is unlikely that Daytona and Talladega will ever be reconfigured to get rid of the restrictor plate.

The restrictor plate\super speedway tracks takes the racing out of the drivers hands (skill) and puts it into the car (aerodynamics). Back in 2007, at the fall race, at Talladega, Jeff Gordon spent most of the race at the back of the racing field. He was bored out his skull following this strategy (avoiding the "Big One"). When it was time to go, he marched through the field and won the race.

I cycled around Carsington Reservoir the summer before last. Dovedale's a bit touristy but Lathkill Dale is a good walk. Consider the Manifold Way, Tissington Trail or High Peak Way. Or if you don't mind getting messy, Kinder Scout.
Aye, I went to Dovedale in the autumn years ago with Bernie that hilariously awkward Buddhist guy, twas pleasant. We tried to do Lathkill last week while I was off but, having no map and no real clue, ended up walking in a 2hour circle around Youlgreave and came back. Next time I bring either a map or you (or Tim the climber in my band who knows walking).

All you need to know about soccer is that he's a huge Liverpool fan :heart:

Aye, I went to Dovedale in the autumn years ago with Bernie that hilariously awkward Buddhist guy, twas pleasant. We tried to do Lathkill last week while I was off but, having no map and no real clue, ended up walking in a 2hour circle around Youlgreave and came back. Next time I bring either a map or you (or Tim the climber in my band who knows walking).

And you never thought to ask for my map of the White Peaks area?

All you need to know about soccer is that he's a huge Liverpool fan :heart:

This is the best we could do :heart:
(He tried to do the Grace tongue face ... tried ...)

v2PJS6X.jpg

qjHtYQy.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person