Halp STUPID QUESTIONS

I hear it but the benefits are extreme in terms of taste and cost, and we are talking about cleaning one pot that has a bit of oil in it, not exactly a major cleaning endeavor

Cost wise, microwave is cheaper. I'm not talking about price, I'm talking about time commitment as well

They are absolutely doing it wrong.
exactly.

From Lodge to the scardy cats,
If no soap is too scary, wash with mild soapy water and dry and oil immediately. However, consider that cookware is 400ºF in 4 minutes on medium heat and is sterile at 212º F, so soap isn’t always necessary.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/useandcare/seasoned-cast-iron

this link was also from their website - NO Soap.

Cleaning

Cleaning Lodge Cast Iron is as easy as 1, 2, 3. Follow the directions of food stylist Jane Gaither and your cookware will last a minimum of 100 years.

Last edited:
Cost wise, microwave is cheaper. I'm not talking about price, I'm talking about time commitment as well

I would disagree, for the price of one box of microwave popcorn (3 servings) you can have a bag of loose popcorn that makes over 50 servings

Making a pot of popcorn serves me, my three kids with some left over... a microwave bag feeds slightly more than one of my kids, the cooking time is the exact same as microwave... I've timed it and cleaning takes maybe two minutes

I would disagree, for the price of one box of microwave popcorn (3 servings) you can have a bag of loose popcorn that makes over 50 servings

Making a pot of popcorn serves me, my three kids with some left over... a microwave bag feeds slightly more than one of my kids, the cooking time is the exact same as microwave... I've timed it and cleaning takes maybe two minutes

I agree oven cooking is better, but microwave, you hit the button and you walk away. Pot cooking you need to give it a little more attention. That's what I meant by time.

If I had a late night craving for popcorn, I would prefer microwave over cooking.

I use an old school "big pop" electric hot air popcorn popper, probably made in the 80s.

It's as quick as microwaving (or arguably frying), zero cleaning other than dumping unpopped kernels out of it, makes a ton of popcorn, and you're guaranteed no burnt popcorn. The popcorn it makes is healthier than any other kind, too... or it would be if I didn't dump salted butter over the popcorn I make.

I use an old school "big pop" electric hot air popcorn popper, probably made in the 80s.

It's as quick as microwaving (or arguably frying), zero cleaning other than dumping unpopped kernels out of it, makes a ton of popcorn, and you're guaranteed no burnt popcorn. The popcorn it makes is healthier than any other kind, too... or it would be if I didn't dump salted butter over the popcorn I make.

Yeah, those things were neat, but made the popcorn too healthy. This is what we had when I was a kid. It was awesome.

Butter%2BUp.jpg

This is the right answer. Perfect balance between ease and cost /quality

Excellent article. Sounds like a pita though with the 6 coats thing. I'm ok with my surface not being glass smooth and doing less thicker coats

yeah. I use $2 lard, coat the pan & throw it on the grill upside down for about 45 mins. Repeat. (that process:tasker :: my process:llama)

After that, as long as I'm cooking some wonderous bacon in it occasionally, I don't worry about it maintaining it beauty & nonstick surface. Also, occasionally, I wipe it out with a little lard on a napkin.

My only caution is Do NOT leave it on the burner empty with the heat still on AFTER it starts to smoke. if you do, the smoking will stop shortly & your entire carbon layer will come off as soon as you go to use it / rinse it in the water & then you'll have to reseason.

To sear a great pot roast, put the heat on med to med hi, and as soon as the pan starts the slightest bit of smoking (the pan is now at it's maximum 'hot enough') put the meat in to brown it (the smoking should stop as soon as you put the meat in or the burner and pan is way too hot), brown it on all sides and turn the heat down to med (or wherever it needs to be to prevent the pan from continued smoking.

Do not make the mistake of answering the phone & walking away from your pan when you're heating it up. If you're in the other room and suddenly realize that 'smell' is your pan, you're 2 hrs away from a useable reseasoned pan. :(

Last edited:
Excellent article. Sounds like a pita though with the 6 coats thing. I'm ok with my surface not being glass smooth and doing less thicker coats

It was a pita. And just to note, all the coats are SUPER thin. You basically want to wipe the thing dry before putting it back in the oven to bake.

edit: And I really want to pick up one of those Griswold pans she mentions in the article.

Last edited: