Halp STUPID QUESTIONS

SPEAK TO ME OF CAST IRON. I OWN NONE AND ISN'T IT WEIRD NOT CLEANING IT? OR SOMETHING? AND IT'S IRON. DON'T WE GET ENOUGH OF THAT?

Cast iron works because it's seasoned with oil or fat or some such
If you clean with soap you end up stripping the oils from the metal

I generally get the pan nice and hot then blast it with some cold water and that usually breaks up whatever is in there, then I wipe it out with a damp paper towel

Cast iron works because it's seasoned with oil or fat or some such
If you clean with soap you end up stripping the oils from the metal

I generally get the pan nice and hot then blast it with some cold water and that usually breaks up whatever is in there, then I wipe it out with a damp paper towel

Don't forget to set it back on a burner after you're done for a minute or two on high. That way it fully dries.

Don't forget to set it back on a burner after you're done for a minute or two on high. That way it fully dries.
True.
Also about once every two or three months I will mildly re-season with a little bacon fat. Add a small spoon of bacon fat and cook it till it starts to smoke, swirl it around then wipe it out.

if you aren't doing P90x in your house, then it's anaerobic.
llI4v.jpg

Last edited:
True.
Also about once every two or three months I will mildly re-season with a little bacon fat. Add a small spoon of bacon fat and cook it till it starts to smoke, swirl it around then wipe it out.

It's been about a year for mine, and atm, then don't need it yet. when it does, it's only on the back side. & I only use lard to do it, and do it on the grill (keeps the smoke outside) for about 30 mins.

If you cook bacon IN it, you shouldn't have to reseason the inside unless you're cleaning it with a scouring pad. The inside of my pan keeps looking better and better.

It's been about a year for mine, and atm, then don't need it yet. when it does, it's only on the back side. & I only use lard to do it, and do it on the grill (keeps the smoke outside) for about 30 mins.

If you cook bacon IN it, you shouldn't have to reseason the inside unless you're cleaning it with a scouring pad. The inside of my pan keeps looking better and better.
Gf has the bad habit of trying to soak the thing in soapy water.

SPEAK TO ME OF CAST IRON. I OWN NONE AND ISN'T IT WEIRD NOT CLEANING IT? OR SOMETHING? AND IT'S IRON. DON'T WE GET ENOUGH OF THAT?
If you're buying a new piece, I'd recommend a 10" Lodge skillet. They're wonderfully inexpensive ($10 or less) & very well made. They come preseasoned, but I"d still recommend picking up 2 lbs of bacon and frying up 1/2 lb each day for the next 4 days. after you fry it, empty the grease (hopefully you keep the glorious bacon grease in a can for later use) then run the pan (not the bottom or the handle, unless you are an unbelievable mess) under water brushing it with a stiff brush. (stiff like toilet bowl wand stiff!) . For me, if somethign is really sticky, I use a flat wood spatula on the spot first. Then a light towel dry & back on the stove. I have these giant cast iron heat retaing grates so I don't refire the stove to dry it, but if you want, do what fly said & refire the burner for a minute or two. We don't have the humidity here in Chicago that he does in FL!

Last edited:
Non stick pans are the only viable choice for eggs
Negative ghostrider.

I do not own any nonstick (edit:teflon) cookware and enjoy fried eggs quite frequently. Gotta cook them with some fat in the pan. A scoop of bacon grease works well, as does a little butter. I like the Bacon grease better though, can deal with higher heat.
Cast iron.

But then they can't use soap on it.
Enameled cast iron. It's like the best of both worlds.

I have a couple of the $10 lodge brand skillets as well as a couple enameled lecreuset skillets. They cook about the same, the only real difference is cleanup and buy-in price. I think the lecreuset ones are thicker and hold heat better but not by an amount that's really noticeable.

You don't have to clean a microwave after you're done. And pressing a button and walking away is a lot easier than shaking a pan.

I hear it but the benefits are extreme in terms of taste and cost, and we are talking about cleaning one pot that has a bit of oil in it, not exactly a major cleaning endeavor

i've never eaten any this way before. i'm missing out?

and i'm gonna add to your stupid question with my own:

where do popcorn kernels come from? they don't look like corn kernels off my corn on the cob. could i put an oiled up ear of corn in the microwave and make fluffy stuff?

you are missing out, kettle cooked popcorn is vastly superior, works with most pots, just on the ones that are prone to having things stick to the bottom, shaking over the flame is necessary for those

... and the kernels do need to be dried out, not sure what the process is on that though