Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

I have half a mind to order either a mesa subway 115 or a fender baseman neo 115 to compare with the hartke 115. I'd keep my favorite and send the other back. Seems like the only way I would get to try those cabs. Nobody near by carries them.
This is true. I haven't seen a brand new Mesa Boogie product since I moved to North Carolina.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and OOD
TBF selling at msrp for most retail is a death wish. But if they are going to do it they could justify it with top notch customer service and knowledge of the products. Most of the mom and pop shops I've been to are run by rude idiots.

Let me tell ya sonny.

There was a time when a Fender that you could get at the GC that just opened for $999 went for actual MSRP of $1399 at mom & pop shops. There was no amount of customer service that someone was willing to pay that much more for. Some darn fine shops went under. Others chose to match online pricing and they stayed open.

I agree with you that in some cases it’s worth it to pay a little more for decent service or for the sake of supporting a business, but I’m talking about the way it was before Y2K and the explosion of internet selling.

The mom & pop shops that had any rudeness attached to them disappeared here almost 20 years ago.

The internet killed both the mom and pop music stores and the big box music stores.

I agree with the first part. Out of control capitalism is killing the big box stores.

It’s important for profit to be the main motivator but there’s more to it than that if a company cares to stick around.

I agree with the first part. Out of control capitalism is killing the big box stores.

It’s important for profit to be the main motivator but there’s more to it than that if a company cares to stick around.
I'm disappointed in Guitar Center turning a profit for a different reason. Up to five years ago, I can buy all kinds of used gear at Guitar Center for Crazy Prices. Because the Millennials couldn't be bothered researching actual market price for the used gear. So I got deals.

The mom & pop I used to frequent (and have looked at their website recently) chose to price match on all large items (guitars, amps, etc) and charge slightly more than online pricing on Strings and picks, accessories, etc.

They are thriving like a mofo.

They are a great bunch of people who know their shit and take pride in their business. That’s how GC employees were when they opened here, then they became cockroaches.

Mark at sweetwater said it would take about a month for me to receive a Mesa and that Mesa doesn't like to take returns so it would cost me a bunch in shipping there and back plus a restock fee. Looks like Mesa is not for me by default. I'm not paying more than 100 bucks to try it out.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
The mom & pop I used to frequent (and have looked at their website recently) chose to price match on all large items (guitars, amps, etc) and charge slightly more than online pricing on Strings and picks, accessories, etc.

They are a great bunch of people who know their shit and take pride in their business. That’s how GC employees were when they opened here, then they became cockroaches.
We have a shop near by that just sells the cheapest, most low end, and sometimes unheard of gear. It seems to work for them. It's probably a good business plan. Cheap sells. And when it's less known you can mark the price up a little bit and folks to dumb to Google will just throw benjamins at you. Of course like I said I don't mind a slight Mark up since I get to try before I buy. Key word being slight.

We have a shop near by that just sells the cheapest, most low end, and sometimes unheard of gear. It seems to work for them. It's probably a good business plan. Cheap sells. And when it's less known you can mark the price up a little bit and folks to dumb to Google will just throw benjamins at you. Of course like I said I don't mind a slight Mark up since I get to try before I buy. Key word being slight.

Let me know when you're looking to purchase a bridge.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes

We have one store like that here. Really glad, nice people and I've been going there for over 30 years.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I blew my preamp in my head. It's been on the way out for a while and I thought it was the speaker going out. Good thing I can bypass it and use a pedal preamp.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer