Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

Well hell, that would have been worth the money just for the "ACCORDION" jack. But he was buying a fucking Bassman 100 head. Oh, and 2 vintage Bassman V4 cabs with the 12s mounted on sort of a inverted pyramid of plywood. I actually like that cab, had 2 back in the day.

That exact setup is what turned me on to Bassmans.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I had PEavy head on them, then I switched to a Crate. The early Crate stuff wasn't bad, then it quickly seemed to decline. Oy Vay. * I used those bassman cabs horizontal, stacked. "Wall of Doom" shit for the era.

For a while Crate and Ampeg were both owned by St. Louis Music and shared quite a few components.

Don't tell that to an Ampeg snob though, they'll never believe it.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Pros: cheap, light, sound good.
Con: one, absolutely one baked in sound.
It's the neos imo. My theory: fucking magnetic gauss(field) is so tight & strong with those magnets, the speakers don't have the same bounce. Hard to get an old-school "fart" out of them. Unless they are carefully engineered to get similar qualities to alnico mags. Not something Fender is likely to do. They've totally sold out to making a buck at any quality reduction.

It's the neos imo. My theory: fucking magnetic gauss(field) is so tight & strong with those magnets, the speakers don't have the same bounce. Hard to get an old-school "fart" out of them. Unless they are carefully engineered to get similar qualities to alnico mags. Not something Fender is likely to do. They've totally sold out to making a buck at any quality reduction.
You're certainly on to something there. My interpretation isn't the magnets, it's the baffles and all the other things which forces the sound in a certain way to always sound like it's never anything passed 1972. Really good Lowe's, a little bit of highs, zero mids at all..
zero.