Stolen content

First, I think it's an infringement on my freedom and pursuit of happiness to make drugs illegal. That's just me though.

Secondly, I think making alcohol and nicotine illegal is a step in the wrong direction and could hurt a lot. For example, at a university in california there is very promising research going on with tobacco plants. They are developing a treatment for lymphoma. If you make the tobacco (which unfortunately contains nicotine) illegal, then we have to look at the fact that we might miss out on some good that could come from that. People might choose to kill themselves slowly with cigarettes, but people with lymphoma generally don't choose that. It'd be sad to tell some people they had to die because we want to prevent other people from choosing to die.

The only thing I have to add to that is:

industrial hemp.

Oh wait...there's all that other medical research with medical marajawanna too.... :fly: :tard:'s

I think it's an infringement on my freedom and pursuit of happiness to make drugs illegal. That's just me though.

Secondly, I think making alcohol and nicotine illegal is a step in the wrong direction and could hurt a lot. For example, at a university in california there is very promising research going on with tobacco plants. They are developing a treatment for lymphoma. If you make the tobacco (which unfortunately contains nicotine) illegal, then we have to look at the fact that we might miss out on some good that could come from that. People might choose to kill themselves slowly with cigarettes, but people with lymphoma generally don't choose that. It'd be sad to tell some people they had to die because we want to prevent other people from choosing to die.

I think the point is that it would be insane to make them all illegal.

I think the point is that it would be insane to make them all illegal.

There's also the probability that there's always going to be a new (and more potent) drug, so what would we do with those? I'm sure that if we legalized the majority of what's out there now, the manufacturers would find something else to bring in their profits that buyers couldn't get in stores. Hell, manufacturers already do that! iono, I don't have all the answers. I just know that fundamentally, they are fighting the drug war on the wrong front. More resources need to be invested in treatment and education instead of criminalization.

That and I really don't think we want to have people high on meth or heroin stumbling around, attacking restaurant patrons with forks or driving through buildings. Which they would almost certainly do in greater quantities than they already do if the stuff was available everywhere.

I say start with pot, get everyone out of jail and prison whose offense involves pot, and then start seriously examining what else we can safely legalize. Because whether you think it infringes on your rights or not, the repercussions involving public safety take precedent.

There's also the probability that there's always going to be a new (and more potent) drug, so what would we do with those? I'm sure that if we legalized the majority of what's out there now, the manufacturers would find something else to bring in their profits that buyers couldn't get in stores. Hell, manufacturers already do that! iono, I don't have all the answers. I just know that fundamentally, they are fighting the drug war on the wrong front. More resources need to be invested in treatment and education instead of criminalization.

The problem is educating the public that cracking down on drugs isn't the answer and that free treatment and education is the answer. I'm all for it, but as an American the process seems counterintuitive.

Drunk drivers kill people because they aren't punished or medically treated as they should be. We need tougher laws on repeat offenders, but our jails are too full of nonviolent offenders to keep the drunks off the road.

And the main reason why violence is so closely associated with drugs is because they are illegal. As the war on drugs costs drug manufacturers/dealers more to produce and distribute, the price on those drugs goes up. The more we spend on busting them, the more they charge people who buy them. So Crack-head-Joe has to steal to afford his habit. So if you legalize it and take the high profits away from dealing you would see a dramatic reduction in crime. Anyone with an ounce of sense can look back at what alcohol prohibition did to this country and see that the war on drugs is doing the same thing. Hell, our generation can just take a look at the PS3 vs Wii launches.

i definitely agree that the tactics by law enforcement officers now aren't working and really are more detrimental to the general populace than good. and if you could honestly show me a working system where all drugs are legal and there is a systematic decrease in the number of related injuries/fatalities/etc across the board (not just crime related), then i'd be open to changing my mind. i've unfortunately had too many personal experiences with losing people i cared about due to substance abuse either on their own part because they didn't know/care any better, or worse, because someone else didn't know/care any better. most of those cases wouldn't have been helped by legalization or wider distribution/profit reduction etc, most were simply related to the abuse of the substances themselves. and unless you can provide a solid education system about them with the circulation of these subtances, people will continue to abuse them. i really don't see that happening considering our country can't even provide a decent high school education to most americans.

That and I really don't think we want to have people high on meth or heroin stumbling around, attacking restaurant patrons with forks or driving through buildings. Which they would almost certainly do in greater quantities than they already do if the stuff was available everywhere.

I say start with pot, get everyone out of jail and prison whose offense involves pot, and then start seriously examining what else we can safely legalize. Because whether you think it infringes on your rights or not, the repercussions involving public safety take precedent.

Society doesn't tolerate public intoxication now, and alcohol is legal. Will it happen if drugs were legal, yeah...but I don't believe it would be as much of an issue and you seem to think. Meth and heroin are more taboo than other milder drugs. If society was educated about them more I think anyone who tried to use them in public would be humiliated and ostracized.

Update: Apparently the cops had a "no knock warrent". So legally, they had permission to enter the residence without announcing themselves. They claim that they did knock and announce themselves. They claim they obtained the search warrent after an undercover officer purchased drugs at that home earlier that day from a young male. However when they shot the old lady up the young male and the drugs were no longer at that location.

Last edited:
Proof? People high on meth and heroin already do that because it's not illegal to have those drugs in your system, only to be in possession of them. Keeping meth and heroin illegal doesn't stop people from doing that and decriminalizing them won't encourage it.

On the other hand keeping them illegal creates meth labs in neighborhoods putting innocent lives at risk and puts more money in the hands of drug cartels to produce and import heroin instead of the alternative in which pharmaceutical companies like Pfizer and Abbot make stuff in regulated, safe environments and the final products are subject to quality controls and sold with proper dosing information.
I agree with the first part of this paragraph, start with pot. But I disagree with your last sentence. Liberty has its risks. The problem is that public safety is not being protected by this drug war. Never has been.

Update: Apparently the cops had a "no knock warrent". So legally, they had permission to enter the residence without announcing themselves. They claim that they did knock and announce themselves. They claim they obtained the search warrent after an undercover officer purchased drugs at that home earlier that day from a young male. However when they shot the old lady up the young male and the drugs were no longer at that location.

ugh...the whole idea of a no-knock warrant for anything but the most dangerous of situations is just disgusting

whoisthis2_0124.jpg

On the other hand keeping them illegal creates meth labs in neighborhoods putting innocent lives at risk and puts more money in the hands of drug cartels to produce and import heroin instead of the alternative in which pharmaceutical companies like Pfizer and Abbot make stuff in regulated, safe environments and the final products are subject to quality controls and sold with proper dosing information.

Very true. We seem to have a problem in the Atlanta area with these labs. There was a bust not too long ago and cops found 5lbs of meth sitting on the kitchen counter in a house where children playing. There was another bust last week where cops found two or three children (10ish or so) who tested postitive for meth in their systems. Take the meth production/distribution out of peoples homes and put in a regulated system where it belongs.

If you think that these drugs aren't already readily available I think you are insane. I know for a fact that I can acquire any drug I want in a matter of hours, it's just that I don't really want to. I don't think there would be any more craziness than there already is. There are already plenty of meth heads and junkies stumbling around. My hope is that if they are legal the problem really will take care of itself. Heck, lets start giving out free heroin and then the addicts can happily od and we can all move on. There will always be new users, but it's a problem that keeps taking care of itself. Then all we have to do is deal with the fact that it is illegal in this country to take your own life.

i definitely agree that the tactics by law enforcement officers now aren't working and really are more detrimental to the general populace than good. and if you could honestly show me a working system where all drugs are legal and there is a systematic decrease in the number of related injuries/fatalities/etc across the board (not just crime related), then i'd be open to changing my mind. i've unfortunately had too many personal experiences with losing people i cared about due to substance abuse either on their own part because they didn't know/care any better, or worse, because someone else didn't know/care any better. most of those cases wouldn't have been helped by legalization or wider distribution/profit reduction etc, most were simply related to the abuse of the substances themselves. and unless you can provide a solid education system about them with the circulation of these subtances, people will continue to abuse them. i really don't see that happening considering our country can't even provide a decent high school education to most americans.

It is sad that people od, kill themselves in cars, and do stupid things that result in death, but I don't think any amount of legislation that can prevent this. I've known several people to die because of their abuse of drugs and the related problems, but it was their choice. None of them took the help they were offered.

You have a fair point about the education, but that's the topic of another discussion I think.

No, because drunks are well known for surly obnoxious behavior. Perhaps drunks are socially accepted where you live, but they aren't where I live. And if I found myself in an area where it was accepted I would move.
Whenever I go to a sporting event, there are plenty of drunk people. Same with concerts. Some restaurants too. Bars and clubs also.

I think your statement should really be that in daily life it's not socially accepted to be drunk.

Whenever I go to a sporting event, there are plenty of drunk people. Same with concerts. Some restaurants too. Bars and clubs also.

I think your statement should really be that in daily life it's not socially accepted to be drunk.
Drunks are certainly more tolerated in some locations. However, there are social constructs that limit the type of behavior that is tolerated. Bars and 'bar districts' that have problems with violence or taboo behavior don't stay in business for long. People like me that don't tolerate too much craziness take their business elsewhere, where it's safer. I imagine you will find the same if drugs were legalized.

The only thing that is a more flagrant abuse of authority than a no-knock is a sneak-and-peek warrant. Its things like this that make this country worse off.

Drunks are certainly more tolerated in some locations. However, there are social constructs that limit the type of behavior that is tolerated. Bars and 'bar districts' that have problems with violence or taboo behavior don't stay in business for long. People like me that don't tolerate too much craziness take their business elsewhere, where it's safer. I imagine you will find the same if drugs were legalized.
True, but I was just trying to point out that it's not so black and white as your original statement suggested.

It is sad that people od, kill themselves in cars, and do stupid things that result in death, but I don't think any amount of legislation that can prevent this. I've known several people to die because of their abuse of drugs and the related problems, but it was their choice. None of them took the help they were offered.

You have a fair point about the education, but that's the topic of another discussion I think.

I do agree that the ones who took it upon themselves with fair warning couldn't have been helped unless there was a decent change in the overall system to help them out of their addicitions (most of them had had ample drug awareness education in its current state, some of which were even in scientific fields and definitely knew the consequences). Where the logic still halts in my mind is when someone in their reckless state takes the life of another. What can prevent that from happening?