Food Springtime Thread 2016

Domon

Robotic Dexter
May 19, 2011
Marklar
₥55,037
Starting the garden tomorrow, getting going early this year. Getting it tilled this week, and manure down tomorrow. Gonna be super busy come June, so I need everything growing and good long before then so all i have to do is harvest.

Landscape fabric'ing the whole damn garden this year so hopefully will need zero weeding. Thats the biggest problem.

Im already late on starting peppers indoors.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
I'm super late on garden. I got broccoli and kale in and still want to throw a zucchini and early girl tomato out there, probably a cherry one too, but I'm afraid I waited too long to get much harvest off anything else and will have to wait and plant again in September. Part of the issue is keeping the chickens out of the garden. We need to fence off my boxes so when they are out of their coop they can't get to it.

• Gravy
I'm super late on garden. I got broccoli and kale in and still want to throw a zucchini and early girl tomato out there, probably a cherry one too, but I'm afraid I waited too long to get much harvest off anything else and will have to wait and plant again in September. Part of the issue is keeping the chickens out of the garden. We need to fence off my boxes so when they are out of their coop they can't get to it.
Check out yellow pear tomatoes over cherry. Taste is amazing. You'll never grow cherries again.

It's been very deceiving here lately and been up 60's to 70's but I won't be fooled because I know I have at least 2 more months of hard winter.

It's been very deceiving here lately and been up 60's to 70's but I won't be fooled because I know I have at least 2 more months of hard winter.

Weird here too. Only stuff im gonna put in the ground is hardy stuff that can deal with a hard frost if we get one. Spinach, peas, a few other greens.

How much spinach do you plant, & do you freeze or can it?

honestly, i have had completely shit luck with spinach in past years, and the answer is zero.

It never germinates.

I think i had been planting it way way too late. Hence getting it in before march hits this year. It needs the cold.

Freezing it is the way to go. Blanch it, freeze it in portions, just bring it out a portion at a time in the winter, and its cooked up the rest of the way in some boiling water in 10 minues from frozen.

• Gravy
yep, thats fine too.

Spinach with balsamic, or any type of acid really (lemon juice, or even just white vinegar) is fantastic.

most people go the "loads of butter + spinach route". I prefer it straight with vinegar and salt.

• Gravy
And now it's...
Springtime for @Domon and Maryland
The Old Line is happy and gay!
We're marching to a faster pace
Look out, here comes the farmer race!

The free state's a fine state once more!
Watch out, East Coast
We're going on tour!
Springtime for @Domon and Maryland...

Look, it's springtime

Winter for Virginia and Penn

Springtime for @Domon and Maryland!

Springtime! Springtime!
Springtime! Springtime!
Springtime! Springtime!
Springtime! Springtime!

• Gravy
Reactions: gee and Mrs. Valve
It's pretty wet, we'll see how it works though , might do it on a cold day with the ground hard