So, who reads?

Sarcasmo said:
By the way, Elpmis has the best taste in books ever. A Million Little Pieces is a helluva read.

that's an oprah book club recommendation...not exactly rocket science involved with picking that one:p

why_ask_why said:
that's an oprah book club recommendation...not exactly rocket science involved with picking that one:p

I don't know. It might take a lot for me to get past such damning praise. :) Not to say that Oprah is a horrible judge of books, but I just wouldn't guess the target audience she is recommending for would include me in the least.

taeric said:
I don't know. It might take a lot for me to get past such damning praise. :) Not to say that Oprah is a horrible judge of books, but I just wouldn't guess the target audience she is recommending for would include me in the least.

You don't fit in with fatass emotional soccer moms?

taeric said:

the post I was replying to made it sound like he was pulling gold nuggets from his ass when in fact millions of people are reading those books

why_ask_why said:
the post I was replying to made it sound like he was pulling gold nuggets from his ass when in fact millions of people are reading those books

Heh. I didn't even know that. I don't keep up with Oprah's dang club.

taeric said:
Well... either how much of an elitist ass you are, or what you mean by "actual books." :) Or both, if they aren't exclusive.

I'm pretty elitist about books. I hate bad writing. Some people just blow donkeys and yet garner large amounts of praise. For no reason, as far as I can tell.

I was just being silly, but "actual book" was my way of saying the above, more or less.

That having been said, American Psycho is my favorite book. Read into that what you will.

:shifty:

why_ask_why said:

Fair enough.

So... everyone want to make a few suggestions on books? I think my suggestions would be Never Let Me Go, as it has been decent so far. Norwegian Wood, because it was on my mind for some reason today. And Good Omens, because a good laugh is always appreciated.

Unfortunately, 2 of those are actually older books. Also, do people have a better place to link for books than Amazon?

Thorn Bird said:
i really recommend memoirs of a geisha. even if you aren't interested in the movie, it's a really great book. it's one of VERY FEW that spange and i both have really enjoyed. AND...it's written by a man, which is VERY surprising.
I'm reading that right now!!!!

why_ask_why said:
it's an oprah book? since when? a million little pieces? are you sure? I'm surprised oprah would enjoy this read

taeric said:
I would especially recommend the book if you enjoy classic beat lit

why_ask_why said:
sounds like the luck you have with your inventions

oh by the way, when you read a shit load of books you start to realize that most of the popular ones are popular for a reason

elpmis said:
sounds like the luck you have with your inventions

oh by the way, when you read a shit load of books you start to realize that most of the popular ones are popular for a reason

Yeah, good publicity. :)