So, who reads?

taeric

Flaccid Member
May 6, 2005
Marklar
₥0
Since I have a lot of time that I have to spend sitting doing pretty much nothing nowdays. (As a funny aside, I first spelled that as nothering. :) ) I'm looking to catch up on my reading. Any suggestions out there? I'm thinking smaller books are better for the time being. I really need to get a feel for completing something.

Currently, I'm reading Never Let Me Go, by someone I can't remember. It is pretty good. I'm somewhat worried about where it is going, though.

I've kinda stopped reading lately. I think it was cause I usually got panic attacks at bedtime. I need to get back into it, cause I really enjoy reading.

fly said:
I've kinda stopped reading lately. I think it was cause I usually got panic attacks at bedtime. I need to get back into it, cause I really enjoy reading.

Tell April to stop sleeping naked and those panic attacks will stop.

I'm in the process of reading Macromedia Flash for Dummies. It started out slow, but is starting to climax and I'm expecting a big ending.

no, not in a sexual way.

Arturo Perez-Riverte is good. I have all of his books except his new one, Captain Alatriste. He's what I call an "actual writer" who writes "actual books", unlike a lot of insulting fluff out there today.

Nothing's Sacred by Lewis Black kicks ass, too.

i really recommend memoirs of a geisha. even if you aren't interested in the movie, it's a really great book. it's one of VERY FEW that spange and i both have really enjoyed. AND...it's written by a man, which is VERY surprising.

I'm currently reading Band Of Brothers, it's been great.

Bubbles said:
I am currently reading Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz.

I REALLY liked Fear Nothing and Seize The Night, I wish he'd do a third book in that storyline.

Sarcasmo said:
Arturo Perez-Riverte is good. I have all of his books except his new one, Captain Alatriste. He's what I call an "actual writer" who writes "actual books", unlike a lot of insulting fluff out there today.

Do explain?

i've been trying to read battle royale but just can't get into it, my schedules been screwed up lately.

Hello my name is elpmis

I read, on average, 2 to 3 books a week

Here are my winter recommendations:

frey-million_little_pieces.jpg

Author: James Frey

Title: A Million Little Pieces

Quick overview: The pains of overcoming addiction

"I want a drink. I want fifty drinks. I want a bottle of the purest, strongest, most destructive, most poisonous alcohol on Earth. I want fifty bottles of it. I want crack, dirty and yellow and filled with formaldehyde. I want a pile of powder meth, five hundred hits of acid, a garbage bag filled with mushrooms, a tube of glue bigger than a truck, a pool of gas large enough to drown in. I want something anything whatever however as much as I can."

emporiumbook.jpg

Author: Adam Johnson

Title: Emporium

Quick overview: 9 short stories of teen snipers, love, death-dealing satellites, and canadanauts

"Duck, you fool, I can't help whispering.

The slug goes, connects--a neck shot, my trademark, the wound lapping like the tongues of orchid petals. The target's knees go out, and he falls from view, dropping into the beige of his cubicle."

thrawn said:
i've been trying to read battle royale but just can't get into it, my schedules been screwed up lately.

Really... how far have you made it. That book really picks up speed and was hard to put down for me.

taeric said:
Really... how far have you made it. That book really picks up speed and was hard to put down for me.

oh it has nothing to do with the book, my work schedule has been weird the past few weeks. i've only been able to sleep an hour or two at a time, and the rest of the time i'm trying to go back to sleep. it hasn't been conducive to reading like i used to.