WTF So, the San Mateo police now work for Apple

if you left your car keys at the bar and I took your ride, it's still a stolen car.

serious apples and oranges there. if you dropped $1000 in the bar it's no ones fault but yours and no one can be held culpable for it except yourself

wut? how many times have you lost nice sunglasses? can you have the cops kick someone's door in for that? no different here. if you lose something it's your own damned fault, not a police action. a car is obviously different. this is a phone. there are 1000's lost every day

if you left your car keys at the bar and I took your ride, it's still a stolen car.

And if I call you four times trying to return it and you refuse it every time, believing I'm wrong and it's not your car, you should lose claim to it.

wut? how many times have you lost nice sunglasses? can you have the cops kick someone's door in for that? no different here. if you lose something it's your own damned fault, not a police action. a car is obviously different. this is a phone. there are 1000's lost every day

If you know who has them, and they won't give them back, and you can prove it's yours, and they took it, they most certainly can kick down the door to reclaim it.

They being the police.

gizmodo did make a stupid choice but the actions of the police were also stupid. they violated the law in confiscating this guy's stuff when all he did was write the article

How did they violate the law with a signed warrant?

500x_gawker-legal-response1_01.jpg

A seizure warrant can't be issued in a case like this. The problem is that the police were not confiscating stolen goods. This guy was not in possession of the iphone. All he did was write the article about it. The police took his shit because he may have committed a felony in writing said article. That is against both state and federal law.

This confiscation has zero to do with stolen property laws. If they'd been there to confiscate a stolen iphone it would be perfectly acceptable. But they weren't.

Last edited:
The scary thing is, and it's glossed over by papers every day, if the police have ANY kind of warrant for ANYTHING against you, when they come in your home, your phone, your computers, any tech, ANY, no matter what the charges, are taken. Always.

And then searched, throughout, for any evidence they can find. They say it's in regards to 'the case', but if they can find anything, anything at all that might indicate other criminal activity, they will then charge you for that too.

It's a bit scary. And I never have heard what the end result is for getting any of that back.

the popo are going to take it in the ass over that one

They taser everyone lately and often do a bad job trying to cover it up. The courts have the cops backs so nothing will be done. I think it's total bullshit they can enter your house without you there and just seize things. It's not like they were there for homeland security reasons.

They taser everyone lately and often do a bad job trying to cover it up. The courts have the cops backs so nothing will be done. I think it's total bullshit they can enter your house without you there and just seize things. It's not like they were there for homeland security reasons.

Yeah, that's pretty much the equivalent of a no-knock warrant. Over a phone.

More I look at it, more I think this one won't be going away anytime soon.

If Chen's lawyer is worth a damn, he should have a field day with this in court. Though, that's with a non-corrupt legal system. Unfortunately such a legal system doesn't exist.