So in this economy, how are your holdings?

You are NOT smarter than the market. I promise. If we had 100 of you (and if you're really lucky), 50 would beat the market and 50 wouldn't. It's simply gambling. Overall, it's a better payoff to simply play the whole market.

1.) It's my money. I can do what I want with it.
2.) It's not that hard to beat the market when you follow the rules (i.e. invest in what you know so you know when issues are arising)
3.) I'm really in it for the dividends and the splits which the ones I am holding are guaranteed dividends. The splits will come when the market comes back up.
4.) The market has evened out for the most part.....holding what I have right now will be a guaranteed return with at least the next couple of months.
5.) I got tired of people managing my funds for me, I've made more in this past month that the funds have yielded me in 6 years.

Amway, water filters, stock brokerage, etc. Whatever it takes. Starting a fake real estate company and a carpet cleaning service

You are NOT smarter than the market. I promise. If we had 100 of you (and if you're really lucky), 50 would beat the market and 50 wouldn't. It's simply gambling. Overall, it's a better payoff to simply play the whole market.

You pay for the protection of mutual funds. They take operating expenses off the top. You arent just buying entire shares of the market you are paying for professional management.

ETFs would are closer to having a little bit of everything because they are flow through entities.

Small systems are easily to comprehend. Retail, tech, etc. All depend on people and the economy in general. Other things arent as effected except by inflation/deflation.

The whole random walk theory is not as solid as people make it out to be.

up about 30% with mah sprint stock (cost basis don't ask about my first purchase)
Visa stock is up about 8%
jblu is still down about 35% but moving on up.

All long term holds. My Vanguard 401k is down about 25% over the past 2 years
my brand new 401k with usaa is up about 15% but seeing as it's only been a few months, theres really nothing in there.

NOW ask me about my real estate investment in good o'l sunny florida, you want the ZILLOW estimate or the true market analysis i have done every month (through my management company)
Zillow shows a 20% decrease in value
Market analysis shows a decrease of about 40-50%

Thank god for being young... and stupid... and in dbzeags case full of the white stuff

1.) It's my money. I can do what I want with it.
2.) It's not that hard to beat the market when you follow the rules (i.e. invest in what you know so you know when issues are arising)
3.) I'm really in it for the dividends and the splits which the ones I am holding are guaranteed dividends. The splits will come when the market comes back up.
4.) The market has evened out for the most part.....holding what I have right now will be a guaranteed return with at least the next couple of months.
5.) I got tired of people managing my funds for me, I've made more in this past month that the funds have yielded me in 6 years.
* Of course you can do what you want. It's my opinion that what you're doing is very risky, that's all I'm saying.

* You're not understanding here. If its "easy" to beat the market, everyone would do it and then you'd be right back to the average. You have a 50/50 chance of winning big or LOOSING big.

* Stock splits make money? Maybe I'm not up on that. How? And assuming all of this isn't in some sort of IRA, you also have to pay taxes on your earnings, which sucks since it means you're really paying taxes twice.

* You have no idea what the market will do. Period. It's about 60% emotion and 40% fact, which means it makes about as much sense as a woman.

* Again you're looking at short term gains. You simply cannot continue to do that over the long haul. It's all luck...
You pay for the protection of mutual funds. They take operating expenses off the top. You arent just buying entire shares of the market you are paying for professional management.

ETFs would are closer to having a little bit of everything because they are flow through entities.

Small systems are easily to comprehend. Retail, tech, etc. All depend on people and the economy in general. Other things arent as effected except by inflation/deflation.

The whole random walk theory is not as solid as people make it out to be.

ETFs seem like a good bet, but they're a relatively new fad. I'm a big proponent of index funds, which are somewhat similar (I think we talked about this before).

I'd love to find out how bad my two trust funds tanked last year, but my dad still has not forwarded me the earnings (or loss) reports on either. Thus I called my attorney yet again to send a letter to his attorney to get him to turn this info over. :rollseyes: Last I knew he had a lot of money into a fuckin CD making 3% interest if that. The rest was in US equity funds which probably tanked hardcore.

Personally I have all my money sitting in checking accounts making nothing. Once I know I'm doing okay with my business, I plan to move some into the stock market, and rest into I dunno what.

* Of course you can do what you want. It's my opinion that what you're doing is very risky, that's all I'm saying.

* You're not understanding here. If its "easy" to beat the market, everyone would do it and then you'd be right back to the average. You have a 50/50 chance of winning big or LOOSING big.

* Stock splits make money? Maybe I'm not up on that. How? And assuming all of this isn't in some sort of IRA, you also have to pay taxes on your earnings, which sucks since it means you're really paying taxes twice.

* You have no idea what the market will do. Period. It's about 60% emotion and 40% fact, which means it makes about as much sense as a woman.

* Again you're looking at short term gains. You simply cannot continue to do that over the long haul. It's all luck...

Saying it's not hard doesn't mean it's easy. You still have to do research and the thing why a lot of people don't do it or do it badly is either lack of researching or greed.

No stock splits don't really make money, but they give you more stocks so if you sell said stock you get more money. Yes this is all in an IRA so it's all tax free (for now). So yes I know I'm not making money yet. I don't make money until I sell the stock. Just like I don't lose money until I sell the stock.

And yes I know what the market will do. It's going to go up. It always goes up. The thing that's unknown is when is it going to go up, and how far it will go down before it goes up.

It isn't stupid to invest in a single stock and hold that stock for a long time. Lots of people do it and are sucessful in it. Now it's stupid to put all your money in that one stock yes.

Again I'm not looking at short term gains. Out of the 4 individual stocks I'm investing in (I do still have more money in a market fund) I plan on holding 3 of them until I retire. The 4th, I'm holding until I feel they reach their actual value as I felt they were severely undervalued. The other three I'm keeping for the continued dividends. If I get splits with those stocks, that's more dividends.

Last edited:
ETFs seem like a good bet, but they're a relatively new fad. I'm a big proponent of index funds, which are somewhat similar (I think we talked about this before).
Yeah we did. In 2006 :lol:

Index funds can fuck with capital gains tax is one of my problems (that and indexes are relatively arbitrary).

It really depends on your purpose though. Retirement you might as well go in for the safe stuff. Income streams are a different strat. I think trees would be good investment. Tree farm... Yeah. Nice and quiet.

I own no property so I'm doing just fine really, I could move house and get something much bigger for less than Im paying now because the renting market is so desperate, but it's a lot of effort. I was a bit dismayed when I heard the government budget yesterday though, national insurance is likely to go up for me, taxes on cars etc are going up a lot which will affect me. All the doctors at my work are getting super pissy because if you earn over 150k now they're charging 50% tax.

Supposedly they're going to cut public spending significantly and raise taxes a lot in the next few years ,grrrr. I might move abroad.