So in this economy, how are your holdings?

Coqui

Piccolo Pete
Oct 14, 2004
Columbus, OH
Marklar
₥3,593
Are you hiding your money in a mattress? Putting it all in bonds? Investing heavily in the market?

Post your strategies, how you're doing, your portfolio if you want.

I've really only started investing heavily in the market the beginning of this month.

Right now I have a 10.15% Gain :cool:

I'd say pretty good seeing as the S&P is at around 1% currently

Not to be a debbie downer, but short term gains mean nothing - unless you're a day trader. And if you're directly buying stocks, you might as well play black jack. And if you're investing in an actively traded mutual fund, make sure you have holdings in vasiline.

sorry, i hate the scam that is the financial industry. /rant

Most of my savings are in Canadian dollars, but since I'm going to need cash soon the money I'm putting away right now is staying in US dollars. In both cases they are in savings accounts.

Not to be a debbie downer, but short term gains mean nothing - unless you're a day trader. And if you're directly buying stocks, you might as well play black jack. And if you're investing in an actively traded mutual fund, make sure you have holdings in vasiline.

sorry, i hate the scam that is the financial industry. /rant

Correct, short term gains mean nothing, but to start out beating the S&P is a good thing and as long as I continue to beat it, I'm making financially sound decisions.

I am directly buying stocks, but I'm also buying them with the intent to hold them for 10+ years.

Yes, I know. My father has been telling the stock market is on sale right now. :lol:

Seriously, if you ever, at any point, said to yourself 'Man, I wish i had invested back when'...

Or said 'Man, I wish I had bought back when'.

Well, everything is now back to 'Back when'.

Smart people who were dumb the first time are now getting a second chance. With the added advantage of seeing all the stupid mistakes people made the first time around.

Seriously, if you ever, at any point, said to yourself 'Man, I wish i had invested back when'...

Smart people who were dumb the first time are now getting a second chance. With the added advantage of seeing all the stupid mistakes people made the first time around.

Does that include "Man I wish I paid for that hooker back then."

I'm investing!!! About a tenth of my paycheck, but it's something! Just isn't anymore than I used to... because the economy is bad its harder for most people to spare more money to invest.

Catch 22 from hell

I'm investing!!! About a tenth of my paycheck, but it's something! Just isn't anymore than I used to... because the economy is bad its harder for most people to spare more money to invest.

Catch 22 from hell

Oh no, I completely understand. That is the catch 22. If, somehow, you were lucky enough to weather the worst part of the recession without it causing to much damage, then you are in a good position to take advantage of a recession economy. That isn't the norm, sadly.

And most people have tightened the belt as much as they can.

But, if you can tighten it just a bit more, give up certain things for like the next year or two, those extra funds, put in the right place, will pay back bigtime.

Of course, I'm not saying anything anyone doesn't already know, and I'm realizing I'm a god damned lightweight when it comes drinking anymore, so just ignore me.

Correct, short term gains mean nothing, but to start out beating the S&P is a good thing and as long as I continue to beat it, I'm making financially sound decisions.

I am directly buying stocks, but I'm also buying them with the intent to hold them for 10+ years.

You are NOT smarter than the market. I promise. If we had 100 of you (and if you're really lucky), 50 would beat the market and 50 wouldn't. It's simply gambling. Overall, it's a better payoff to simply play the whole market.

You have to remember, the market doesn't run on logic. There are too many institutional investors and large hedge funds that can control the way the market moves.

Dont forget ETFs.

Mutual funds are relatively low risk >.> You pay for the protection out the nose.

In response to the thread: I practically get all my spending money from financial instruments. Mostly royalty trusts and bond ladders >.>