WTF So I just dick'd my butt

I too am self employed, but if I worked for a company and they didn't clearly state in my hiring terms that I was on call and they weren't paying for my phone, I wouldn't feel compelled to take their calls on my time off. We all need to start refusing to be abused by our employees or employers will keep doing it
It's almost like if we all started some sort of organization where we could negotiate terms of employment collectively we'd have more power to do that...

Eh, that's crazy.

niche work gripe

we submit (deidentified) quality data for public reporting to a few different orgs, some are required and some are optional. one of the optional ones, we actually PAY to be a member of. and with that org, they switched to a new data repository/company that has taken a lot of control out of our hands and basically boned us.

we share an EMR with a larger hospital system, and so we have never been able to get the EMR extracts directly, we've always had to have them run them and send to us. the data was always about one month behind, so data from the month of August would be available at the end of September (this allows for tests to be resulted), and then we found that giving one more month would help with encounters not being captured because they weren't signed right away.

what we DID have control over was that once we received them, we could upload directly to the org database, run it, and then run "custom reports" that were basically a dry run of what the final public reporting would be based on that up-to-date data. and we did it monthly, which allowed us to find gaps and either track down external data and incorporate it into our EMR, or contact patients to make sure they receive that care as well as monitor for new codes that needed mapping or were mapped in error.

NOW, the downloads/uploads are still occuring monthly, but the org does not make reports immediately available AND if we want the useful version that gives us data we can actually validate, we have to request someone else run it for us and send it to us.

the reporting periods happen twice a year for 1-year intervals, so one period we report on would be 1/1/2021 - 12/31/2021 and the next would be 7/1/2021 - 6/30/2022. the June data wouldn't be available until the end of July, and it takes til end of August to capture July data for all the encounters. so earlier this week, just after the end of August upload, I requested the files, which has thus far been ignored but what I DID get just now was a message sent to everybody reminding us the data submission deadline is 9/19, which realistically gives me five working days to sift through thousands of pieces of data AND abstract AND request the org we get our EMR through runs a special set of extracts and uploads them assuming they send the data today.

cliffs:
new system bad, fuck being at the mercy of others for getting shit done