Food So Has Anyone Brewed Beer Before?

So here what we're brewing on Saturday: Teabagger Chia-PA

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/506804/teabagger-chai-pa

It's actually a modification of our Whorechata that we did last year. I added a bit more hops to balance the sweetness a bit more, as the Whorechata was very sweet. Also increased the mash temp to increase body and reduce the alcohol content to better match the style. The chai flavors will be added before bottling/kegging.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL and Valve1138
Hey @fly, what do you guys do as far as temperature control during the fermentation process? I was thinking of getting a fridge and wire up an inexpensive regular home thermostat to turn on and off the fridge to control the temps. This seems a bit drastic though.
Don't use a household thermostat. Buy a "STC-1000" temperature controller off ebay/amazon/whatever and use that. Make sure you get a 120V one, not a 220V one. Power it up using an old power cord with the end hacked off. Calibrate the probe to 0C/32F with a glass of ice water.

Turn the fridge temperature down low to like 2C using the mechanical thermostat inside, this way if the controller goes tits up, you've got a failsafe that keeps shit in the fridge from freezing. Use the probe of the STC to verify it's set where it should be.

There's probably guides on homebrew sites and stuff going over exactly how to do this.

(@fly - business idea. Sell a turnkey kit that includes a STC or similar controller mounted in a box, so all you have to do is plug your fridge into it and plug it into the wall. If such a product doesn't exist already...)

So, what's the ideal length of the Johnson to be used as a controller?

giphy.gif

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
Don't use a household thermostat. Buy a "STC-1000" temperature controller off ebay/amazon/whatever and use that. Make sure you get a 120V one, not a 220V one. Power it up using an old power cord with the end hacked off. Calibrate the probe to 0C/32F with a glass of ice water.

Turn the fridge temperature down low to like 2C using the mechanical thermostat inside, this way if the controller goes tits up, you've got a failsafe that keeps shit in the fridge from freezing. Use the probe of the STC to verify it's set where it should be.

There's probably guides on homebrew sites and stuff going over exactly how to do this.

(@fly - business idea. Sell a turnkey kit that includes a STC or similar controller mounted in a box, so all you have to do is plug your fridge into it and plug it into the wall. If such a product doesn't exist already...)
^ This is what I did for our fermenting fridge.

For our keezer, we have an official Johnson control.

edit: And one sorta does exist, but they're expensive. And liability would prevent me from attempting to sell em personally...

Hey @fly, what do you guys do as far as temperature control during the fermentation process? I was thinking of getting a fridge and wire up an inexpensive regular home thermostat to turn on and off the fridge to control the temps. This seems a bit drastic though.
BTW, our homebrew store recently started carrying some hot yeast. There is no need for cooling, as they work up to 98F with a consistent flavor profile across all temperatures.

http://www.omegayeast.com/portfolio/14158-2/

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138 and APRIL
BTW, our homebrew store recently started carrying some hot yeast. There is no need for cooling, as they work up to 98F with a consistent flavor profile across all temperatures.

http://www.omegayeast.com/portfolio/14158-2/
Well that's rad. that'll work great for brewing in our extra room. Still can't do it in the garage though... lol It'll be 130 in there in the summer.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly