Shopping for Phones

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
So this weekend I decided my current phone blows monkey cock and that I need a new one. I have 10 months remaining on my contract with Cingular and I want a new phone.

You guys are all into this kind of stuff, what would you suggest?

I would like a phone that is bulletproof because I drop mine a lot, something with long battery life, and basic features. I'd also like to spend less than 100 bucks. I am a basic user that mostly uses the phone for calling...no pictures/music/email or any of that crap.

I currently have a Motorola V180 which I don't hate but it leaves a lot to be desired.

What are you guys using? If you were on Cingular and had 100 bucks to blow what would you get? I've been looking at CNET reviews but haven't seen anything that really does it for me.

Again, something STURDY and easy to use is what I'm really going for here.

If anyone has a sprint phone better than a free 1980s Nokia that is not in 3 pieces like mine, send it on over.

No but seriously I need a new phone pretty bad. I cant even involve myself in the camera phone threads, lol.

I would like a phone that is bulletproof because I drop mine a lot, something with long battery life, and basic features. I'd also like to spend less than 100 bucks.

Steal one. Cause that's a hard list there.

I might go back to this model, those things were impossible to break.

old-cell-4.jpg

And for the record, the only people that seem to carry "bulletproof" phones anymore is Nextel because of their popularity with contractors. Every other phone is meant to break in 2 years so you have to get a new one/renew your contract.

:( We didn't convince you to go with the cameraphone after this weekend? I have failed.

you kept taking pics of my wang all weekend, kind of turned me away. actually I don't care if the phone has a picture option on it or not, most all of them do these days it seems. It's just not my #1 priority.

I recently upgraded from an LG Flip phone (model unimportant, it was at best a phone that made calls, that's about it). I went with the V3c Razr, which I love the crap out of.

Pro's: it's thin, fitting into any pocket. The camera is nice, taking decent 1.3 Mp photos. The software on the phone has matured nicely, I especially like the Voice Recognition component, no more programming in tags for voice calling. With the combination of this phone and a Bluetooth headset I rarely have to take the phone out of my pocket (which it fits into nicely). The last Pro is cost, most of the major companies are offering the Razr for between free and $50. If you are on Cingular's equivalent 'New every 2' plan you should be able to get a hella good deal.

Cons: The phone feels somewhat flimsy when opening it, it feels much less flimsy when you pay the $1.99/mo insurance fee though. Battery Life is fairly standard for a Motorola, 1-2 days with active usage, 3-5 days on standby only. I have had the battery die at inopportune times twice, I charge it every other day to keep that from happening. The big con, I have a Cingular 8125 through work that uses a mini-usb data/charge cable, just like the Razr. For whatever reason Moto decided to make the Razr cables proprietary, I get an 'invalid cable' error on my phone whenever I try to hook it up to my laptop.

All in all if you can get the $50 price this is the phone to get. Everything that is 'wrong' with the phone can be gotten around with add-on equipment. Get a car charger and your battery life is a moot point. Get a data cable and you can upload/download pics/music/etc. Add a MicroSD card in and you get have even more room for whatever you want.

Fake Edit: Evidently Cingular sucks when it comes to giving you phone discounts. The V3 Razr is currently 129.99 with a 2 year contract, with a $50 mail in rebate. Verizon is still offering their V3 Razr for 49.99.

I recently upgraded from an LG Flip phone (model unimportant, it was at best a phone that made calls, that's about it). I went with the V3c Razr, which I love the crap out of.

Pro's: it's thin, fitting into any pocket. The camera is nice, taking decent 1.3 Mp photos. The software on the phone has matured nicely, I especially like the Voice Recognition component, no more programming in tags for voice calling. With the combination of this phone and a Bluetooth headset I rarely have to take the phone out of my pocket (which it fits into nicely). The last Pro is cost, most of the major companies are offering the Razr for between free and $50. If you are on Cingular's equivalent 'New every 2' plan you should be able to get a hella good deal.

Cons: The phone feels somewhat flimsy when opening it, it feels much less flimsy when you pay the $1.99/mo insurance fee though. Battery Life is fairly standard for a Motorola, 1-2 days with active usage, 3-5 days on standby only. I have had the battery die at inopportune times twice, I charge it every other day to keep that from happening. The big con, I have a Cingular 8125 through work that uses a mini-usb data/charge cable, just like the Razr. For whatever reason Moto decided to make the Razr cables proprietary, I get an 'invalid cable' error on my phone whenever I try to hook it up to my laptop.

All in all if you can get the $50 price this is the phone to get. Everything that is 'wrong' with the phone can be gotten around with add-on equipment. Get a car charger and your battery life is a moot point. Get a data cable and you can upload/download pics/music/etc. Add a MicroSD card in and you get have even more room for whatever you want.

Fake Edit: Evidently Cingular sucks when it comes to giving you phone discounts. The V3 Razr is currently 129.99 with a 2 year contract, with a $50 mail in rebate. Verizon is still offering their V3 Razr for 49.99.

Thanks for that, I agree on the phone discount issue. I'm not sure what they are going to do since I still have 10 months on my current contract...will they want to cancel the old and start up a new 2 years or will they offer discount since I'm under contract as is. It might be cheaper to pay the early term fee and go to another carrier to get the phone discount. Who knows

Buy whatever you can get unlocked so you dont get another contract in the process. Heres a pro tip. Look at the Go Phones in the store. The only thing that makes them different than a normal cingular phone is the sim chip. take it out and use your own and it will work just fine.

It seems that you can always get phones pretty cheap on Ebay, anyone ever done this?
Bought my last couple phones that way, including my current SDA. Now that I've fixed the joystick, this is the best phone ever.
Buy whatever you can get unlocked so you dont get another contract in the process. Heres a pro tip. Look at the Go Phones in the store. The only thing that makes them different than a normal cingular phone is the sim chip. take it out and use your own and it will work just fine.

You sure on that? That seems... odd. They aren't locked to Go sims? Sure seems like they would be...

I have a crackberry 8700 right now
blackberry-8700c-1.jpg

switching to this in a month or two when it comes out
crackberry 8800...adds multimedia support, SD card port and cam
:drool:
BlackBerry_8800_1.jpg

Bought my last couple phones that way, including my current SDA. Now that I've fixed the joystick, this is the best phone ever.

You sure on that? That seems... odd. They aren't locked to Go sims? Sure seems like they would be...

what phone do you hav?