Shopping for Phones

Why can't there just be a phone that just is a phone? No camera, no mp3 player, no web browser, just a fucking phone? Have a contact list/address book for numbers and that's it? Have it the size of a pencil and 3 inches long with numbers down it and that's it.

I would buy that.

nokia 2366i for verizon customers...the boy is DoD contracted and can't have a cameraphone, so as soon as verizon started offering this one he snagged it. it's pretty slick, has bluetooth and NO CAMERA (huzzah!) and so far he loves it.

I go the Motorola RAZR L7 because I just wanted a plain phone. The thing is a piece of shit. I wish I still had my Nokia 3695. Those thin ass-phones are impossible to grip with your shoulder.

I have never propped my phone on my shoulder, and I have a gigantic Treo 650 and before that a Handspring Deluxe with phone attachment (weighed more than a full pound :eek: ).

nokia 2366i for verizon customers...the boy is DoD contracted and can't have a cameraphone, so as soon as verizon started offering this one he snagged it. it's pretty slick, has bluetooth and NO CAMERA (huzzah!) and so far he loves it.

I was more worried about the formfactor. Just taking out features can give engineers a chance to make the phones smaller. Just think, a phone the shape and shorter than a pencil. Imagine how nice that would be when you are out clubbing to just stick that in your pocket.

Call it the iStick :fly:

And how does that work you can still be DoD capable when Bluetooth hacks are known and published?

And how does that work you can still be DoD capable when Bluetooth hacks are known and published?

most sensitive areas don't allow rf in or out. Bluetooth wouldn't matter. Though, when I have gone to Lockheed, I had to put my phone in a bin before I went in to any area with security. Followed by someone holding a blinking light.

Last edited:
Why can't there just be a phone that just is a phone? No camera, no mp3 player, no web browser, just a fucking phone? Have a contact list/address book for numbers and that's it? Have it the size of a pencil and 3 inches long with numbers down it and that's it.

I would buy that.

JITTERBUG.jpg

I would buy that.

Says the man with a Treo.

Says the man with a Treo.

I got a Treo because I use a Treo. I have lots of apps on PalmOS I use almost on a daily basis. However, if there was a phone like I am talking about, then I would have two pieces, the phone and a Palm PDA.

most sensitive areas don't allow rf in or out. Bluetooth wouldn't matter. Though, when I have gone to Lockheed, I had to put my phone in a bin before I went in to any area with security. Followed by someone holding a blinking light.

that's pretty much it in a nutshell. he can have his phone at his desk but they have "clean rooms" that are guarded by various members of security and military and they are searched when they enter and exit the room. those are the no phone, period areas. besides, their job IS RF communication, if they wanted to they could listen to people's cell conversations from a couple of blocks away:fly:

i did a little phone shopping this weekend and have concluded that the cell market sucks ass. i don't see the reason why every cellphone has to have flashy useless things like vcast and a 3 megapixel camera when they shirk things like button feedback and durability. i'm not a silly 15 year old who superglued her LG chocolate or motorola RAZR to my palm, i want a phone that will behave when in a purse or pocket.

i did a little phone shopping this weekend and have concluded that the cell market sucks ass. i don't see the reason why every cellphone has to have flashy useless things like vcast and a 3 megapixel camera when they shirk things like button feedback and durability. i'm not a silly 15 year old who superglued her LG chocolate or motorola RAZR to my palm, i want a phone that will behave when in a purse or pocket.

I hear ya....Last week I deleted 43 pictures of the inside of my purse. :fly:

i have an ipod, i have a pda, soon to be laptop. i don't need a phone with those capabilities. i just want one that can make and take calls without being a piece of crap.

i have an ipod, i have a pda, soon to be laptop. i don't need a phone with those capabilities. i just want one that can make and take calls without being a piece of crap.

I like not having to carry around 4 pieces of electronics. Phone has windows mobile on it so no need to drag around a laptop for the little things it can do.

What's with all this hate on snazzy, technology advanced phones? Is this forum full of elderly people?

Simple and small = more reliable to drops and less to concentrate on when you are drunk and stumbling.