WTF School District purchased AR15s for the school security guards

Floptical

Doesnt Read Thread Titles
Sep 1, 2006
Rockies
Marklar
₥34,710
All I can say is WTF.

So my kids school district just purchased 10 AR-15s for the armed security officers.

The Bushmaster long rifles will not be housed on school grounds. They will be locked up at the district security office and bus depot along Highway 85.

"The weapons currently every day will be inside of a locked safe in a secured room inside the security department. They'll be deployed into a locking mechanism that is inside our patrol vehicles very similar to the locking mechanisms that are inside law enforcement patrol vehicles and they will only be deployed if there is a situation where they need to be deployed," Director of Safety and Security Rich Payne said.

The long rifles and equipment cost the district $12,300.

Payne said all of the armed security officers are prior law enforcement officers who hold post certificates.

"The security officers train side-by-side with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office," he said.

Each armed security officer will be required to complete training before they can check out a long rifle. The Douglas County School District currently employs eight armed security officers.

Asked if any other districts have done this, Payne said he did not know. But he mentioned other rural districts are considering a similar move.

"Our main focus is to make sure that all of the students staff parents and community members are safe when they're on any of our school properties," he said.

http://kdvr.com/2016/04/18/douglas-county-purchases-rifles-for-school-security/

Ironic considering how much attention was placed on that very weapon because of it's use in Columbine.

Fucking Colorado. They should have nuked Colorado Springs when they had the chance.

This is what happens when you have to much money in the school district. We caught hell 2 years ago because our District Super was the highest paid in the whole country at like 280k a year.

What's the difference if retired police officers are first on the scene with ar15s or active police are there with m16s? Are you that scared of guns?

I'm one of the last people of this board you should ever accuse of being scared of guns. And these aren't retired police officers they are former police officers. Which is a big difference. I'm not saying there isn't a need for security but at a certain point it should be the actual Police force dealing with situations not a private firm. What's next that they get tear gas and flash grenades?

• Gravy
Reactions: Duke
The first time one of these security guards (or worse, armed teachers... they are arming teachers) shoots an unarmed kid, and it will happen, it's a fucking certainty, I pray that little victims life is the only sacrifice necessary to bring sanity back into this equation.

• Gravy
Reactions: august
The first time one of these security guards (or worse, armed teachers... they are arming teachers) shoots an unarmed kid, and it will happen, it's a fucking certainty, I pray that little victims life is the only sacrifice necessary to bring sanity back into this equation.

If having the guns prevented purposeful attacks prior to that accident, is it sanity?

We don't say this about seatbelts but there's cases where wearing one has been more costly than not.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers and OOD